Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

February 12th, 2024 18:01

Replacing Failed Drive PowerEdge R430

Hi,

I am trying to replace a failed 600gb SAS  (P/N : 1XF230-150) in my PowerEdge R430 server. Looking online it seems to tell me to switch the drive to "Offline" in the Dell GUI. I only have the options to "Blink" and "Unblink". How to I go about making sure the drive is offline before I physically take it out? And are there any steps in rebuilding the array?

Thanks,

• 

3.3K Posts

February 13th, 2024 16:32

Hello,

You are correct. The drive is already failed therefore it is Offline.

You can pull the drive and replace. It should start rebuilding automatically.

• 

3.7K Posts

February 13th, 2024 03:23

Hello thanks for choosing Dell and welcome to our community.
Is it possible we see a photo of the part? If it's a Dell part, it should have a sticker on with a PPID written.
Respectfully,

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

February 13th, 2024 13:40

Hi,

See attached photo of my new drive as well as a photo of my options on the Failed drive. Wondering if it is possible to just take out the old drive and put in the new drive as is, or if I have to find a way to turn the drive Offline.

Also, I was reading somewhere that the server shouldn't be in use while the new drive rebuilds itself. I was wondering if this is actually true as this server is running my Domain Controller, and that changes when this work would have to be done.

Thanks,

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

February 13th, 2024 13:42

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

February 13th, 2024 13:45

• 

2.2K Posts

February 13th, 2024 14:54

Hi, thanks for photos. You can do as below:

1. Prepare the hard drive for removal: From the management software, prepare the hard drive for removal. Wait until the indicators on the hard-drive carrier signal that the hard drive can be removed safely.
  2. Remove the old drive: Press the release button to open the hard-drive carrier release handle. Slide the hard-drive carrier out until it is free of the hard-drive slot.
  3. Insert the new drive: Insert the new hard drive into the hard drive carrier with the connector end of the hard drive toward the back. Attach the screws to secure the hard drive to the hard drive carrier.
  4. Reinsert the carrier: Insert the hard drive carrier into the hard drive slot until the carrier connects with the backplane. Close the hard drive carrier handle to lock the hard drive in place.

When a replacement hot swappable hard drive is installed, the hard drive automatically begins to rebuild1. Make sure that the replacement hard drive is blank or contains data that you wish to have over-written.

As for your question about whether the server should be in use while the new drive rebuilds itself, it is generally safe to write to the array while it’s rebuilding. However, it’s important to note that I/O operations will consume time that could otherwise be used for the rebuild, potentially slowing down the process. Therefore, if possible, it might be best to schedule the drive replacement during a period of low server activity.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

February 13th, 2024 16:25

@Dell-ErmanO​ Hi Erman,

Thank you for the helpful array rebuilding response, I will take that into consideration!

I am having issues knowing if it is prepared for removal. I post a picture of the options OpenManager gives me for the drive and none of them are to change it to offline. It does say it's failed, does that = Offline? Currently the drive indicators are blinking amber.

Appreciated,

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

February 13th, 2024 18:15

@Dell -Charles R​ Brilliant thank you, you guys answered all my questions. Appreciated!

No Events found!