Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

2 Posts

February 1st, 2024 15:03

RAID-1 HDD Rebuilds and then says Removed

I'm trying to swap a HDD on a RAID-1.  After it reaches 100% rebuilding, the state says Removed.  My SMART monitoring software says the drive is healthy while it's connected and rebuilding.  Same thing happens if I pull it and put it back in - rebuilds, and then says Removed.  I noticed that Server Administrator says the new drive Negotiated and Capable speed is only 3 Gbps (should be 6) and the old drive is 6 Gbps.  Not sure if something could be going on there.  Here is some other info:

-  PowerEdge R730xd

-  PERC H730 Mini (embedded)

-  Brand new same size HDD

-  HDD light is green blinking while rebuilding

-  HDD light goes to amber blinking after it says Removed

-  Using the Dell Server Administrator app to monitor

-  Using CrystalDiskInfo for SMART logs

-  New drive is a 1TB WDC WD1005FBYZ-01YCBB3

-  Old drive is a ST1000NM0055-1V410C

2 Posts

February 1st, 2024 15:06

• 

3.3K Posts

February 1st, 2024 20:52

Hello TheJayKap,

First about the drives. I'm not finding those manufacturer part numbers in our database.

Are these Dell branded drives with Dell firmware?

In OMSA on the Physical disks; What does it say for Failure Predicted Yes/No?

I notice none of your images posted. Could you try .png format and make sure they aren't to large of size.

Could you post image of the drive labels, new and old drives, showing the Dell DP/N number for me to check validation in an R730xd?

Is the controller firmware up to date?

Dell PERC H730/H730P/H830/FD33xS/FD33xD Mini/Adapter RAID Controllers firmware version 25.5.9.0001

https://dell.to/42n10TC

Do you have another available slot to put the replacement drive and see if it rebuilds ok?

Have you checked the LifeCycle Controller, <F10> in post, to see if there are any error messages related to the drive?

Have you run the build in diagnostics?

Boot to  F11 on Dell Splash screen, selecting  Boot Manager -> System Utilities -> Launch Dell Diagnostics.  Note any messages and continue testing.

No Events found!