Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

132 Posts

April 5th, 2024 23:17

how to update bios

I downloaded bios update file into my USB, how do I update bios? I'm using Linux Mint, optiplex 5080 mini tower

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

April 6th, 2024 02:37

When you choose to update BIOS using USB method, the process is independent from operating system.  Therefore, it does not matter if your system runs Windows or Linux Mint. 

You can download the latest BIOS for OptiPlex 5080 from here https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=2jmhc&oscode=wt64a&productcode=optiplex-5080-desktop

Copy the BIOS file to a FAT32 formatted USB drive.  With the BIOS firmware USB plugs in, power on the PC and immediately tapping on F12 for one time boot menu.  When the menus is displayed, select BIOS Flash Update in the Other Options section.  There will be option to browse your USB for the firmware, select the BIOS firmware file and click on OK, confirm the BIOS information and select Begin Flash Update.  System will restart and you will see the normal flash update progress bar. 

(edited)

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

April 6th, 2024 02:32

Prepare a bootable usb, copy the bios.exe to usb, boot from usb, run the exe, make sure your pc is not powered off during bios flash.  Flash bios has inherent risk so do so when only absolutely necessary.

No Events found!