Unsolved

NG

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

April 5th, 2024 22:49

Graphics Card

Hello everyone,

I thank you in advance for your guidance and assistance.

I have a Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) in an OptiPlex 3040 BaseBoard Product 05XGC8 with 16.gb RAM installed and 9.32 available.

I use windows 10

I'm trying to play (and occasionally trim) gopro black 11 videos on this desktop system.  

Gopro says that to use its Quik software for desktop I need 

Processor Intel Core Duo, Recommended Intel Quad Core i7 or better; and

A graphics card that supports OpenGL 3.2 or later.  Recommended for editing and playing 4k files: intel HD Graphics 4000 or better (or a similarly rated graphics card) recommended video RAM 512 or more for playing video below 4K, 1GB or more for 4K  playback.

I think I need help with determining whether

1. the processor I have is an intel core duo (satisfying the minimum requirements of quik)?  If not, is the board I have capable of being upgraded?

2. is the processor that is currently installed capable of running a HD Graphics 4000 or better, with at least 1GB RAM? and 

3.  what HD Graphics 4000 do I need?

4. is there anything else I should be aware of/further information that you need to help me?

Many thanks for your time,

Chris,

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

April 6th, 2024 00:28

While your OptiPlex 3040 can be upgrade to an i7-6700 processor, the current specifications are already better than Quik software recommendation.

1.  The i5-6500 sixth generation processor is way better performance than a Core Duo or i7 quad core first generation.

2.  The i5-6500 has integrated graphics Intel HD 530, which is capable of 4K playback and is performing well beyond Intel HD 4000 from third generation.  The video RAM is sufficiently allocated from system RAM.

You do not need 3 and 4 or anything else.  Just install Gopro software to your current system and it will be running fine.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

April 6th, 2024 05:14

@Chino de Oro​ Thank you for taking the time to reply and for telling me my system hardware is sufficient to run gopro quik.

For quite some time now the video playback has frozen.  It must be a software issue then?

Is there anything that I should be looking at?

Thank you so much, 

C

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

April 6th, 2024 07:05

You left out the system storage type information.  Are you using SATA SSD or spinning HDD?

For software, not everyone will feel comfortable to perform a clean install of operating system but that is the best way to get rid of all issues with conflicted drivers, corrupted system files, and incompatible settings.

For hardware, if anything that could improve overall performance in your system would be solid state drive and a discrete graphics card.  Most common choice is AMD RX 6400, for example https://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-Radeon-6400-Profile-Graphics/dp/B09YTB3KH6?th=1

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

April 6th, 2024 09:39

@Chino de Oro​ Thank you so much.  The gopro footage is on an internal SSD (but not the 'C' drive, I store it on a SSD that is the backup, and really only has gopro footage on it otherwise.

I'm very grateful for your knowledge sharing, I'll look at the graphics card.

Thank you so much,

C

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

April 6th, 2024 10:06

Glad to help out.  If you received answer to your question, you can close this thread by marking helpful post as accepted answer.

Remember the upgrade suggestion is for overall system performance improvement.  Not a requirement of GoPro Quik software.  Beside the suggestion of adding a discrete graphics card, I strongly suggest to put your OS (assumed Windows 10) and applications on a 2.5" solid state drive.  You will see the improvement as day and night.

If you have additional questions during the upgrade process, just create new questions and you will receive assistant from community and myself.  You can review this video for the Windows 10 installation process to gain some idea prior to working on your system.  https://www.dell.com/support/contents/en-us/videos/videoplayer/how-to-install-windows-10-using-a-usb-key/6079805044001

There are many different ways to install Windows operating system, review this tutorial blog will also help.

No Events found!