Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 11th, 2024 09:28

Dell Optiplex 9020 Monitor Entering Power Saving Mode Issue

I have been using my Dell Optiplex 9020 for nearly two years without any major issues. However, last week, I encountered a problem where the system unit starts normally, but the monitor immediately enters power saving mode and does not display anything further. I have ruled out RAM, CPU, and power supply issues, and even tried connecting an external graphics card, but the problem persists. I would appreciate any assistance or suggestions to resolve this issue. Thank you.

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

April 11th, 2024 11:01

When you indicated the system starts normally, how far did it go?  Past POST?  Complete loading Windows?

Let try a low cost troubleshooting, replace the CMOS battery with a new CR2032 coin cell.  Then, perform an RTC reset via jumper to clear NVRAM.  Adjust BIOS settings to match your hardware environment and preferences.  Run a diagnostic scan if the issue is persisted.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 11th, 2024 11:13

@Chino de Oro​ 

The system starts, and I can hear the fans running, but the monitor immediately enters power-saving mode without displaying anything further. I have not been able to get past the initial screen or load Windows. I've already tried replacing the CMOS battery with a new CR2032 coin cell, but unfortunately, it didn't resolve the issue

(edited)

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

April 11th, 2024 11:47

Check your hardware setup and verify for common mistake as a loose connection.  Test with different connection ports, test with different cables.  Confirm that you have working monitor and cable before trying to troubleshoot or fix the PC.

After having known good monitor and cable, remove the boot drive and boot the system up to trigger error message of no boot device.  As long as you can access the BIOS settings, you can run diagnostic scan for any hardware issue.  A Windows reinstallation on a new drive may become necessary. 

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

April 12th, 2024 01:02

Do you have a different monitor you can try?

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

April 12th, 2024 17:39

Re: The system starts, and I can hear the fans running, but the monitor immediately enters power-saving mode without displaying anything

in my experience this is usually a no POST issue.  
chino’s advice of clearing CMOs settings is what I would suggest too after replacing battery.

one thing to check is the led color of 9020 power button.

If power button is solid blue or white, pc is working. then try Brad’s suggestion of different monitor. Keep it simple by using onboard vga port and vga cable/monitor.

if power button is blinking amber it is more c/w no post. bad mobo, ram, or psu can all do this. CPU usually does not expire suddenly. Let us know your power button color before we make more specific suggestions 

(edited)

No Events found!