Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 27th, 2024 03:30

Dell 7050SF Screen blanks out with Netflix or other heavy video load

New refurb model. I am using a VGA monitor with an HDMI adapter. When I use a browser to open netflix, the display goes off, while the video keeps running showing that the PC is still running, It may flash back on intermittently, and if I close the browser, the display works normally.

This also happens if I open two browser windows, and start a graphics oriented website like youtube in both windows. Also happens if I run the Netflix PC app.

I have updated to latest Intel drivers on the Dell website. Bummer, no?

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 27th, 2024 03:48

I should add that I have tried running it in Chrome with the graphics acceleration not enabled. Same in Firefox.

Finally, it's not just Netflix. Any streaming application like Hulu or Amazon Prime will cause the same blackout of the video.

(edited)

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

March 27th, 2024 04:19

Try going into Device Manager.  Is there a yellow triangle with "!" by anything, notably graphics?  Update driver from that window if there is.

Have you tried DP by any chance, though you'll need another adapter?  Unfortunately, this isn't the first time a few Dell's experienced HDMI blackouts.  My Precision 3620 would just do that whenever and come back on again, yet it doesn't do that with DP.  Also on the 2nd Dell monitor with it, so I know it's not that.

Though I don't think you should need it just for YT and Netflix, a graphics card might be an option.

If the HDMI port is defective, the only way I know to fix it is to replace the MB.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 27th, 2024 12:51

Thanks for the advice. I had looked in device manager earlier and no yellow marks,

Thought about it. It must be the GPU fizzing out with a heavy load. I was going to try running it off the DPT port instead of HDMI, but since I can return it, I will do so. Will try another unit from amazon.

Resetting the HD to factory with a data clean right now.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

March 27th, 2024 19:50

Good luck in getting something that works for you!!  :)

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

April 1st, 2024 03:41

All this fuss about running netflix on a GPU. I've got older PC's with cheap PCI video cards that stream it fine. Anyway,. I got another Dell 7050 box from amazon and it runs the video fine. Problem solved if Amazon doesn't bounce  the return

It was definitely bad video electronics on the motherboard. They should do some kind of GPU test when they refurb these things,

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

April 1st, 2024 03:55

Glad you got it working.  Not often MB or PC replacement is the answer for display issues.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

April 1st, 2024 18:25

Egg on my face again. I mentioned I was going to try it off the DP port instead of HDMI? Well I should have done that first. I was using the DP-VGA adapter on the second unit. When I went back to the HDMI-VGA adapter, the blanking problem came back. It must be an adapter sync issue. The HDMI port by itself is good.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2024 04:14

Still glad you got it working.  There's a difference between passive and active adapters, but I'm  not as familiar with them.

Remember how I mentioned I have to use the DP port on my PC and not HDMI?  The first monitor my PC did that with was a Dell P2219H.  So I returned the monitor thinking that was it.  I then bought a P2319H.  Same problem with HDMI.  At the same time I felt a little bad for returning the other monitor, at least I got a refurb monitor without a scratch on the screen.

No Events found!