Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

July 5th, 2022 11:00

Useless private messages from DELL-Cares because I posted in threads

DELL-Cares repeatedly sends private messages to me asking for Service Tag, because I posted in someone else's threads to give assistance. So, I didn't start the threads, the computers in question are not mine.

Messages keep coming, such as this one: 

You’ve received a private message from Dell Community Forum
I still haven’t received your Service Tag or Express Service Code or Order Number. I’ll be able to assist you with your query as soon as I receive any of them.

I can understand why you send a message to a user who starts a new thread about an issue. But, sending these messages to people who post in an existing thread is not useful.

Is there any way to stop these useless messages?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 6th, 2022 05:00

The DELL-Cares bot cannot "know" that your reply is not asking for Dell assistance. All it knows is that a new regular role user (you) replied to another users thread. So its function is to ask you for Service Tag. What you are asking is for a Forum software that grants regular role user the ability to somehow notify us that you are not seeking assistance from us, that you are providing assistance to the original poster/author of the thread. Our Forum software does not provide this.

What our Forum software does provide is the ability to take elevated role users (Rockstars) and remove them from the above process.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

That is kind of a "nuclear" option. I don't want to block all private messages, as I may sometime want to receive private messages from other users. I simply want to stop the particular messages that I described in my first post.

Surely it makes no sense for the forum to send messages asking for service tags from people who just posted in an existing thread to provide help. If those messages have any value, then it would be only to whatever user started the thread. The DELL-Cares behaviour needs to be modified.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

* Click your username to enter your Forum profile
* Click Settings- Preferences
* Click Preference Options to see the drop down menu
* Click Private Messenger
* Remove both checks
* Click Save

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

July 6th, 2022 06:00

What I suggest is one of the following:

• DELL-Cares should ask for service tag only from the original poster who started the thread. And/or,
  • Dell-Cares should stop sending PMs asking for service tag if the user replies with "STOP" or something similar.
No Events found!