Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2024 03:10

U2723QE, MacBook, USB-C hub drawing too much power

I have got my U2723QE connected with my MacBook Pro M1 2019 14". I want to use my monitor as USB hub thus I have connected my keyboard and mouse via USB 3 ports to the monitor but my keyboard does not light up. When I connect the keyboard to my monitor (which is connected to the mac USB-C) then this message pops up on my OS: USB drawing too much power. Then it blocks both my mouse and keyboard connected to the Dell monitor.

Further details of my system and what I have tried already:

• Using latest Sonoma OS update
  • Using latest Dell firmware: M2T105
  • My keyboard is a recently bought Keychron K2
  • Everything is working fine if the keyboard is connected to the mac directly via usb-c and the monitor via usb-c as well
  • The mouse or other usb periferials are working properly with the dell monitor
  • The issue is the same regardless of which USB port is being used on the monitor to connect with the keyboard
  • The issue is the same regardless of which USB-C port is being used on the Mac to connect with the monitor
  • The monitor can charge other perferials with battery like iPhone, bluetooth headset
  • If I remove the mouse from the monitor and only the keyboard remains the issue is the same
  • If I disconnect the monitor from the mac then my keyboard lights up immediately
  • The mac is not connected to other power source, only to the usb-c charging monitor
  • I have tried with and without the Dell display manager software, the issue is the same
  • I have tried to factory reset my keyboard, issue is the same

I would appreciate any support with this issue. My goal is to have only USB-C connection between the monitor and the macbook and have 2 periferials (mouse + keyboard) connected to the monitor.

I cannot figure out why this error message pops up because the monitor via USB-C suppose to charge my macbook instead of try to draw power from it.

Thanks in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 4th, 2024 04:36

I have found the resolution that is super weird. Without changing anything on the setup I plugged my monitor to a windows laptop. The keyboard that was connected to the monitors usb hub started to work immediately. After that I removed the windows laptop and connected the monitor to my Mac again and magically the keyboard worked properly without popping any error message about power consumption.

I think this bug is caused by the dell monitor expects the OS to initialize and recognize the keyboard but MacOS cannot do it. The monitor must have saved something after connected to windows since it handles the keyboard now properly for both OS.

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

April 4th, 2024 04:21

You can test your desire setup by connecting the keyboard to a USB port.  Don't use the USB-C up/down stream.

No Events found!