Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

March 7th, 2024 09:10

P2422HE to S2421HN daisy chained, not waking S2421HN

Hi all

I am hoping that someone is able to help with an issue that we're seeing with the above monitors.
We recently purchased 150 of each of these monitors, and have experienced issues with the S2421HN monitor waking from sleep when daisy chained.

This is replicated 100% of the time, across any of our Dell laptops. 

As the secondary monitor has 2 HDMI inputs, we are using Active DP to HDMI, which works without issues unless the machine goes to sleep, only disconnecting the device and reconnecting it kicks the second display back to life. The laptop still sees that monitor connected even whilst it has gone to sleep.

We have spoken to our Dell AM, but they advised that they will not be able to accept returns for them and Dell support left the call saying the monitor does not support DP to HDMI.
My problem with that, is that my understanding of MST technology, is that it does work with HDMI, it just breaks the chain so cannot then daisy chain more devices. And it does clearly work because there aren't any issues until the device sleeps.

We have tried updating firmware, different cables and is replicated across any of the set ups. The issue is not replicated when using the monitor with a separate dock.

Has anyone tried to use this monitor with DP to HDMI successfully? 

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

March 8th, 2024 12:09

In case anyone else comes across this post, although we had tested a couple of brands already, our supplier was kind enough to provide us a free alternative cable to test and we were able to get the set up working using a specific Startech adapter.

It's disappointing that Dell were unable to provide further support on this matter when I'd reached out to them.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 7th, 2024 19:51

Technically, the Dell MST (multi-stream transport) documentation has always included USB-C and DP and always excluded HDMI/DVI/VGA. Which is also shown in my article.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

March 8th, 2024 09:16

Hey Chris

Thanks for your response. The article seems to be dated 2017, has the technology with revisions of DP and HDMI perhaps changed?

The technology allows the use of DP to HDMI (as pointed out in a response to that post in 2020),the display does work on initial connection so the display is able to initially wake the secondary monitor every time.

Your same article states the following:

'Any usage of HDMI/DVI/VGA port, cable, or adapter for or on the second monitor will break the DP 1.2/MST Daisy Chain.'

Which would indicate that it does work, but it will break the chain, which I understand.

Could you please confirm?

(edited)

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 8th, 2024 15:01

@AlexD1111​ 

has the technology with revisions of DP and HDMI perhaps changed?
* Not according to our Displays team.

Which would indicate that it does work, but it will break the chain, which I understand.
* I do not understand that statement. If it breaks the chain it does NOT work.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

March 8th, 2024 16:26

@DELL-Chris M​ Hi Chris, I'd think breaking the chain would refer to the monitor with the HDMI being the last monitor that you could daisy chain from. Until a secondary screen is connected, there is no chain.

DP to DP would allow you to then add another display to the non hub display, Active DP to HDMI would then break the chain at the monitor with the HDMI input, not before it. At least this is how it is explained on documentation that I've come across.

(edited)

3 Posts

March 9th, 2024 15:16

It seems like you're encountering issues with the S2421HN monitors when daisy-chained, and it's crucial to address this concern to ensure smooth functionality. When dealing with multiple monitors daisy-chained together, compatibility and proper configuration become key factors. Begin by checking the display drivers and firmware on each monitor, ensuring they are up-to-date. Some monitors might require firmware updates to resolve specific issues. Additionally, review the settings on the computers connected to the monitors, ensuring that power settings and display configurations align with the daisy-chaining setup. Experiment with different configurations, such as adjusting sleep settings or testing the monitors individually, to identify if the issue persists across the entire setup or is specific to certain units. If the problem persists, reaching out to the monitor manufacturer's support or community forums could provide further insights and potential solutions, as they might be aware of specific issues related to the S2421HN monitors when daisy-chained.

The Capitec branch code is 470010, and with this code, you can make quick money transfers while the corresponding banks can quickly identify it.

(edited)

No Events found!