Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

February 17th, 2024 20:34

Request for Support with RTX 4090 Mobile Dynamic Boost Issue on Alienware m18 R2

Dear Dell Support Team,

I am reaching out to discuss a significant issue I've encountered with my Alienware m18 R2 laptop, which is equipped with an Intel Core i9 14900HX processor and an NVIDIA RTX 4090 Mobile graphics card.

My concern revolves around the Dynamic Boost feature on the RTX 4090 Mobile, which is designed to enhance gaming performance by allowing the GPU to exceed its standard 120W power consumption and reach up to 175W. While this feature operates seamlessly on Windows, providing stable and expected performance levels, I have encountered substantial difficulties when using Linux as my operating system.

Under Linux, Dynamic Boost is not activated by default, resulting in the GPU's power consumption being capped at 120W. Despite following NVIDIA's documentation and enabling the `nvidia-powerd.service`, the GPU fails to consistently exceed the 120W limit or reach the potential 175W, leading to highly fluctuating power consumption and, consequently, unstable performance.

I have documented my experience and the steps I've taken to address this issue in a complaint posted on the NVIDIA GeForce Forums. You can find the details of my complaint here: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/dynamic-boost-issues-with-rtx-4090-mobile-on-linux/283605.

Given the complexity of this issue, which appears to involve both hardware capabilities and software support, I am reaching out to you at Dell for assistance. Could you please advise if there is a known solution or workaround that could stabilize the Dynamic Boost functionality under Linux? Additionally, I am interested in any steps Dell might be taking in collaboration with NVIDIA to address this compatibility and performance concern for Linux users.

Your support in this matter is crucial for me to fully utilize the capabilities of my Alienware laptop. I appreciate any guidance or solutions you can provide.

Thank you for your attention and support.

Best regards,

Vincent.

February 19th, 2024 06:37

I assumed you referred to this guidance for the dynamic boost configuration: Chapter 23. Dynamic Boost on Linux (nvidia.com)

For this feature, it's still under working to make it work properly on Ubuntu OS and any issue is welcomed to be reported for our awareness. 

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

February 20th, 2024 11:02

@ZIorro Zhang

Thank you for your response. I confirm that I am referring to the Dynamic Boost feature on Linux as mentioned in the documentation. However, even with the `nvidia-powerd` service enabled, performance remains unstable, limiting the usability of the RTX 4090 Mobile under Linux. And without the service the 4090 is stuck at 120w.

---

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

February 28th, 2024 13:37

I made a vidéo about the problem :

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

May 12th, 2024 18:16

The issue might actually stem from CPU overheating, which could be causing a CPU bottleneck, hence the GPUs are no longer operating at 100%.

As you can see in the previously sent video, the CPU temperature spikes to 100°C at the moments when the stutters occur.

https://www.dell.com/community/en/conversations/linux-general/cpu-fan-not-functioning-on-alienware-m18-r2-under-linux/6641068a3a00f4589788c088

No Events found!