Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

March 27th, 2024 11:53

DW5821e card not detected in Dell 7230

Hi

I have installed a WWAN card (DW5821e) to a Dell 7230 (not enabled WWAN in factory). 

The computer can detect this card in bios. ( Cellular device installed ) 

But when I go to hardware monitor, there is not such device, so when I used one_click_tool for enable the radio, the button is grey and I couldn't disable the device in hardware ( since there is no icon ). 

Also, "lspci" command does not provide any pci device related to this card. 

I have tried to reset BIOS by clearing the CMOS, and reinstalled the card, but all these methods don't work.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? 
Thank you. 

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

May 2nd, 2024 01:45

UPDATE-PROBLEM SOLVED

I have changed to a Quectel RM520-GLAA with pcie and usb bus mode support 5g modem.

This works well in ubuntu 22.04 with ModemManager.

INSTALLATION:

For installing this card, need to buy a M.2 M to M.2 Sata Convertor board with 2 sim card slot since the modem cannot detect sim card installed on the Dell 7230 motherboard. 

The M.2 slot of the convertor board need to be very near to the original one. 

RM520 is M2 3052, so the black one with one sim slot on Amazon does not works, it's a green one with two slots. Even in this case, need to cut off a little bit the PCB of RM520. (This won't impact it's performance I THINK).

( I don't know if this is a typical issue that it cannot detect sim on the motherboard)

Antennas:

Install the antennas inside the blank area of the case, enough space for 4 59*9mm 20cm 6dm FPC antenna. 

BIOS:

BUS MODE PCIE

(USB not detected in windows11)

I am still waiting for pcie driver for windows11... 

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

March 27th, 2024 15:49

Linux drivers for that card:

https://linux-hardware.org/?id=usb:413c-81d7

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

March 27th, 2024 19:45

@ ejn63 

Thank you for your response.

But I don't think that this is a problem of driver since I can't detect this card by using      - mmcli -L

or            - lspci

neither    - lsusb

I checked the status of modem manager

It gives me some warning

<warn>  [plugin/generic] could not grab port ttyS4: Cannot add port 'tty/ttyS4', unhandled port type

<warn>  [base-manager] couldn't create modem for device '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:16.3': Failed to find primary AT 

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

March 31st, 2024 01:45

I changed to a DW5930e

This does not help at all, I can see DW5930e-esim in system devices in hardware

But I cannot open this card as a network device

Also, in ubuntu, I have found wwan0 device but modem managet still can't detect it.

Very confused with bios settings

Dose anyone know how to resolve this???

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

May 3rd, 2024 02:40

Windows NDIS driver works in USB mode.

Quectel EM060-GL should also be able to work. 

No Events found!