Start a Conversation

Unsolved

11 Posts

March 29th, 2024 02:50

Integrated Webcam not functioning properly

Inspiron 16 5620

Inspiron 16 5620

I've been working on this on and off over the past few days, and I'm completely out of ideas.

I have an Inspiron 16 5620 that is working fine, other than the integrated webcam not functioning, even though it's definitely worked in the past.

When I attempt to use the camera, the small light will illuminate next to the camera, but all that will display is a black box. This happens in Zoom, and also when I simply open the camera in the settings menu.

I've tried the following things, none of which have resolved the problem:

• App permissions. All applications have access allowed to the camera. As I mentioned above, the black box is even showing when I open the camera in the Settings menu.
  • Drivers. When I look at the drivers in Device Manager, it says everything is up to date and isn't showing any errors. I've even tried uninstalling the device and reinstalling altogether.
  • Automated Troubleshooting. I've tried to run Microsoft's automated troubleshooter, which tries resetting the device, disabling and reenabling the device, etc. It eventually just tells me to shut down and restart, which doesn't fix anything.
  • Bios Update. I just downloaded and installed a BIOS update through Dell's SupportAssistant. That didn't solve the problem.
  • Using An External Webcam. Just to try and narrow things down, I tried plugging in an external USB webcam, and it doesn't have any problem functioning in the Settings menu or in Zoom. So, again, I know it's not a permissions or security setting.
  • External Cover. There is nothing physically covering the camera lens.

Throughout everything I've tried, the light beside the camera lens is always turning on, so I know that it's -trying- to work, it just isn't displaying properly.

Like I said, I've been at this for a few days, and I'm just completely out of ideas.

No Responses!
No Events found!