Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

April 1st, 2024 14:43

Working driver for Radeon under Win11

I'm fooling around with a somewhat aged Inspiron 24 5475 AIO.  I installed Win11 easily enough (despite its "not supported" status due to the CPU not being whitelisted), but the AMD Radeon R7 Graphics 9874 driver is giving me fits.

Every driver that Windows tries to install does nothing (shows "error 43").  Virtually every driver I've manually tried does the same thing.

The drivers from the Dell site for the 5475 (either manually downloaded or via SupportAssist / Command Update) don't work and disable the system--I get a black screen, and the only way to recover that I've found so far is to boot into Safe Mode and roll back or otherwise delete the driver.

I know for certain fact that it's workable:  I hit the magic combo once, largely by accident, from browsing the Microsoft Catalog.  I then made the mistake of doing a clean install without exporting the driver set...  and lost it.  (Yes, I am that dumb.)

Has anyone successfully installed Win11 on this machine?  What driver did you use?

Any suggestions?

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

April 1st, 2024 19:12

Have you looked on the AMD site for a suitable driver?

AMD has a scanning tool to scan the PC hardware and -hopefully- offer a Radeon driver compatible with your GPU and Win 11...

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

April 1st, 2024 22:06

@RoHe​ Yes, I should have mentioned that.  I've tried the AMD tools (including the "auto detection" you mention), with the same "error 43" result.  Thanks anyway....

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

April 2nd, 2024 00:44

Are you sure "Inspiron 24 5474 AIO" is the correct model number? I don't see that model number listed on Dell's Support site.

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery? A weak/dead battery can cause all kinds of strange symptoms. You may want to do that now, if nothing else than to rule the battery out for a few dollars:

1. Power off, unplug power cord from rear of PC
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Install fresh coin cell battery, probably a CR2032
  6. Close up and reboot

When that's done, reboot and tap F12 when you see the Dell splash screen. Select the option to run diagnostics and run all of them. Copy error messages, if any.

You may then want to run these commands to make sure Win 11 isn't having a problem:

1. At desktop, open a CMD prompt window, Run as administrator
  2. At the prompt, type in: chkdsk c: /r and press Enter. Accept offer to run chkdsk at next boot and reboot. chkdsk will run before Windows loads so be patient. When PC is back at desktop, open the chkdsk log to see if there are any "unfixed" errors.
  3. Assuming no unfixed chkdsk errors, open CMD again, as in #1.
  4. At the prompt, type in: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press Enter. Be sure to include a space in front of each / and note any error messages when that's done.
  5.  Assuming no "unfixed" errors in #4, at the CMD prompt, type in: sfc /scannow and press Enter. Be sure to include a space in front of the / and note any errors when that's done.
  6. Assuming no "unfixed" errors in any of above, reboot PC and see if that fixes the problem.

You may also need to completely uninstall the existing AMD driver and then do a clean install of different AMD driver. You can use DDU (free). Be sure to follow the instructions about disconnecting the PC from the internet and then running DDU in Safe Mode.

Have the new driver you want to try already downloaded on your PC so you can install it before reconnecting to the internet. 

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

April 2nd, 2024 03:44

Yikes on the typo!  Sorry, original post edited:  Inspiron 24 5475.

Funny you should ask--just replaced the battery right before I started this project (and, the old one had died).

I've run all the diagnostics.  Aside from a couple of "we recovered XXX MB of your disk drive" type things in SupportAssist, nothing came of anything.  I still have the Win10 installation up & running on the HDD, so I really don't think it's a hardware or BIOS/CMOS type issue...?

The command line tools are routinely saying they "found errors and repaired them."  Most of the guidance I've found online had me running SFC before DISM, but otherwise I've already tried exactly what you suggest.

I've been heavily using both the DDU tool and the ADM Cleanup tool.  I've also gotten extremely adept at Safe Mode--that's my only recovery (so far as I've discovered) when I get the black screen....

I appreciate the brainstorming--please keep it coming!!  :)

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

April 2nd, 2024 17:49

When you replaced the battery, did you press/hold PC's power button for ~30 sec in step #4?  If not, you might want to remove the battery again and do that now. Assuming the battery is good, you can just reinstall it.

Reboot and tap F2 to open BIOS setup. How are SATA Mode and Secure Boot set?  Don't change either setting. Just exit setup and check video after PC boots itself.

I always run DISM before sfc. If you run them and get "errors repaired", it won't hurt to reboot and immediately run both commands again. If you get more "errors repaired", then something isn't right with hardware and/or software.

Try this:

1. Disconnect PC from internet, to be safe
  2. Go to Startup tab in Task Manager and copy names of all Enabled entries
  3. Disable all enabled entries
  4. Reboot PC
  5. If things seem normal now, go back into Task Manager and re-enable one or a few of those same entries again. Reboot and test. See if you can ID the entry that's causing the problem after it's re-enabled.

I wouldn't reconnect to internet unless/until you've re-enabled whatever app you use for antiviral protection and confirmed that it's running, eg Windows Defender, Norton, McAfee, etc, assuming it isn't the culprit here.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

April 2nd, 2024 18:27

BTW: Have you tried connecting an external monitor or TV to this AIO to see if it's really a problem with the video card or the LCD screen?  There's both an HDMI-IN and HDMI-OUT port on back of this PC model. HDMI-OUT is on right side of the center support, facing rear of screen. #9 here.  You might have to press button #6 on bottom edge of screen to select HDMI-OUT after the external display is connected and powered on.

You might also want to connect an external video source, eg, game box, DVD player, laptop, to HDMI-IN and see if that displays  correctly on internal screen. You will have to use button #6 on bottom edge to select HDMI-IN as the video source.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

April 4th, 2024 04:56

Yep, I’ve done (& re-done) all the steps you mention.

I have a second monitor connected—the fact it doesn’t work with the basic MS driver is how I first was aware I had a problem, when the new W11 install fired up & the second screen was blank.

I don’t think I’ve been clear about my setup.  The main (built-in) monitor is working—with the exception of a few drivers that get me a black screen, I can use the PC more or less normally with just that screen (but I can’t change resolution, it won’t go to sleep, etc.).  Even with a “black screen” driver, it’s still on—I can see a faint glow (albeit black) that’s definitely different than “off.”  It’s not the monitor.

I also seriously doubt it’s a hardware issue with the GPU.  I still have the Win10 partition, if I boot to that, it works normally (both screens, display settings work, etc.).  Nothing has changed in that.

I’d be ready to give up altogether and assume it’s just not possible—except that I briefly got it working.  Then, in possibly my dumbest move ever, I lost the magic combo that made it work as I continued to fiddle.   I know from direct observation that there’s “some” driver out there that’ll work.  I’m just on the struggle bus to find it. The MS Catalog returns “only” the top 1,000 hits—even accounting for duplicates, that’s a slow, manual process….

I wish there were some way to know *why* it’s not working—that might inform the search.  Ugh!

Thanks again for the time you’re putting into this….

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

April 4th, 2024 18:14

Maybe you should just go back to using Win 10, since it will be supported until 10-2025.

Have you correctly configured Win 11 on its Display screen to use two monitors?  

This PC doesn't officially support Win 11, even if it's running, so it's possible the HDMI-OUT port isn't properly configured by Win 11.  There's always this kind of risk when running an unsupported OS on old(er) hardware....

If you're intent on using Win 11, you could always try a USB3 video dongle, eg. USB3(PC)>HDMI(monitor) which could avoid HDMI-OUT port issues. Just make sure the dongle supports Win 11 and the recommended (aka: native or optimal) resolution of the monitor connected to the dongle.

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

April 5th, 2024 15:20

As I said, understood it's not a "supported" PC (the CPU not being whitelisted is the shortfall).  This is a hobby project, not a "must do" by any means--the Win10 installation has been and remains my "real computer," and the Win11 is my "fooling around."  Trying to get it to work as an experiment, not as any sort of must-do.

I can't configure the second monitor, since all of the display settings are greyed out with the bad drivers.  That's the first thing I tried when Win11 originally fired up & I noticed my second screen was blank.  I can't even control the primary display (i.e., nothing on the display settings).  A USB dongle setup may or may not get me a second monitor (does the MS driver support that?), but it won't get me a truly working display (can't set resolution; can't go to sleep; etc.).

Again:  ALL of this works normally on the Win10 installation (my primary, "real" one); it's the Win11 "test bed" that I'm struggling with.  I've learned a lot, so even if I never find that elusive driver that works again, it'll have been a successful endeavor....

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

April 5th, 2024 15:27

So, I ran a small utility I found, CPUID CPU-Z.  I ran it under Win10 (working) and Win11 (not working).  There are some small differences in the "Graphics" section of each--I don't know if it's meaningful, or simply the result of Win11 not running the driver because of "error 43"?  I do note that both reflect the same driver version (27.20.20903.8001).

Extracted here.  Note there are two "Graphic APIs" not reflected on the Win11 install.  I'm not even clear on what that is--should I focus my efforts on this...??

Win10:

Graphics
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of adapters		1

Graphic APIs

API				D3D
API				PDH
API				ATI I/O
API				ADL SDK

Display Adapters

Display adapter 0 (primary)	
	ID			0x2130000
	Name			AMD Radeon R7 Graphics
	Board Manufacturer	Dell
	Codename		Carrizo
	Cores			512
	ROP Units		8
	Technology		28 nm
	Memory size		512 MB
	PCI device		bus 0 (0x0), device 1 (0x1), function 0 (0x0)
		Vendor ID	0x1002 (0x1028)
		Model ID	0x9874 (0x07E3)
		Revision ID	0xE3
	Performance Level	Current
		Core clock	324.7 MHz
		Memory clock	731.5 MHz
	Driver version		27.20.20903.8001
	WDDM Model		2.7

Win32_VideoController		AdapterRAM = 0x20000000 (536870912)
Win32_VideoController		DriverVersion = 27.20.20903.8001
Win32_VideoController		DriverDate = 05/11/2021

Monitor 0	
	Model			Inspiron 5475 (Dell Computer)
	ID			DEL4145
	Serial			
	Manufacturing Date	Week 49, Year 2016
	Size			24.5 inches
	Max Resolution		1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
	Horizontal Freq. Range	0-0 kHz
	Vertical Freq. Range	0-0 Hz
	Max Pixel Clock		0 MHz
	Gamma Factor		2.2

Monitor 1	
	Model			Sceptre F24 ()
	ID			SPT09AB
	Serial			
	Manufacturing Date	Week 45, Year 2021
	Size			23.8 inches
	Max Resolution		1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
	Horizontal Freq. Range	30-83 kHz
	Vertical Freq. Range	50-76 Hz
	Max Pixel Clock		200 MHz
	Gamma Factor		2.2

Software

Windows Version			Microsoft Windows 10  Home (x64), Version 22H2, Build 19045.4170
DirectX Version			12.0

Win11:

Graphics

Number of adapters		1

Graphic APIs

API				ATI IO
API				ADL SDK

Display Adapters

Display adapter 0	
	ID			0x2130000
	Name			AMD Radeon R7 Graphics
	Board Manufacturer	Dell
	Codename		Carrizo
	Technology		28 nm
	PCI device		bus 0 (0x0), device 1 (0x1), function 0 (0x0)
		Vendor ID	0x1002 (0x1028)
		Model ID	0x9874 (0x07E3)
		Revision ID	0xE3

Win32_VideoController		AdapterRAM = 0x20000000 (536870912)
Win32_VideoController		DriverVersion = 27.20.20903.8001
Win32_VideoController		DriverDate = 05112021

Software

Windows Version			Microsoft Windows 11  Professional (x64), Version 23H2, Build 22631.3374
DirectX Version			12.0

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

April 5th, 2024 19:57

CPU-Z should work in both Win 10 and 11. So is there something wrong with the Win 11 installation?  Is it worth doing a clean Win 11 install on that drive? Does GPU-Z give you any useful info in Win 11?

Don't know if those API differences are relevant to the problem or just "normal' differences between Win 10 and 11.

A USB video dongle may still turn off when PC goes to sleep, if USB port(s) is set to "allow PC to turn off..." in Device Manager. 

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

April 6th, 2024 20:37

Sorry, I was unclear again.  The utility (CPU-Z) is working fine in both environments.  I was referring to the fact that the drivers aren't working under Win11.

I wasn't aware of GPU-Z--thanks for the pointer!  Arguably more on point for my GPU issue, eh?

Here are those results--I ran that in both environments as well. As before, the Win11 iteration appears to be missing information--presumably because the driver isn't running?? Anyway, posted here in case you (or any of you 20-pound brain types) can spot something useful....

Win10 results: TechPowerUp GPU-Z Validation k9ryw

Win11 results: TechPowerUp GPU-Z Validation 7xusc

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

April 7th, 2024 01:01

GPU-Z certainly shows the AMD GPU just isn't running in Win 11:  

Pixel Fillrate:  0.0 GPixel/s
Band0.0 GB/s
GPU Clock:  0 MHz  GPU Default:  0 MHz
Memory Clock:  0 MHz  - Memory Default:  1200 MHz.

Refresh my RAM:

Is BIOS set to UEFI boot mode?
Is Secure Boot enabled/disabled in BIOS setup?

How is Load Legacy OPROM set in BIOS?

How is SATA Mode set in BIOS, RAID or AHCI?

No Events found!