L

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

March 23rd, 2024 17:49

Loss of sound after Realtek-High-Definition-Audio download

Inspiron 3471

Inspiron 3471

Following a warning from my Norton antivirus about a vulnerable application, I recently downloaded the 2021 version of the Realtek-High-Definition-Audio update from Dell website, shown as a critical update for my desktop.  The speakers stopped working immediately.  I've run the troubleshooter and re-booted several times, but nothing restores the sound.  Any suggestions, please?

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2024 20:36

Did you try deleting the driver?  We'll try working with drivers first.  It's often best to let Windows find the driver.

At worst, you might have reload Win10/11 - What version are you on?

Interesting that Norton flagged the driver as vulnerable since it was from the Dell site.

(edited)

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 24th, 2024 01:12

Version of Windows?

What app was flagged by Norton? And why did you (re)install the Realtek driver after seeing that warning?

How are speakers connected to PC, via the green Line-Out port (#2) on rear of PC, or are you using sound over an HDMI cable from PC to a monitor with its own built-in speakers?

Did you check the Windows Sound settings screen to make sure the Output Device is still set to use Speakers/Headphones - Realtek (assuming that's what you're using)?  Then adjust the Master Volume control on that same screen. Next, click the Troubleshoot button and see what it reports and/or if it can fix things.

This PC uses Waves MaxxAudio Pro software as the sound controller. Is Waves installed and loading when you boot PC?  Look on Startup tab in Task Manager to see if Waves is listed and enabled. Then look on Processes tab to see if it's actually running.

Since you (re)installed the Realtek driver, you may need to reconfigure Waves, assuming you confirm that Waves is loading/running at boot, and the Troubleshooter didn't fix the problem:

1. Power PC off normally inside Window
  2. Unplug speakers from Line-Out port
  3. Boot to desktop
  4. At desktop, plug speakers into Line-Out port
  5. Wait for Waves to pop up and ask what you connected
  6. Select the best option from the list Waves offers
  7. See if speakers work now
  8. If still not working, open the Waves control panel, by double-clicking the Waves icon in notifications area on task bar (usually white W in a blue box). 
  9. Click Playback box in Waves Control Panel
  10. Move Playback Enhancement slider at top to right to turn on.
  11. Under Select Output Device, make sure it's set to External Speakers
  12. Down at bottom, move volume slider to ~mid-level volume and then click the Sound Test button....

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

March 30th, 2024 18:16

@bradthetechnut​ Hi Brad, I re-installed the Dell download and I'm pleased to say that speakers are working again.  It is possible something went wrong during the install, I guess.  Thanks for the advice.

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

April 1st, 2024 00:49

Glad you got it working!!  :)

No Events found!