Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 12th, 2024 13:11

Inspiron 2320 booting

I have a Inspiron 2320, I loaded Windows 7 Pro 64Bit. All worked fine. Next morning when I tried to boot it froze. As per attached picture.

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

March 13th, 2024 00:37

First, size 2032 CMOS battery may need replacing.

Might need to try again with loading Win7.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 13th, 2024 05:48

@bradthetechnut​ Morning, replaced battery. Stil not working. Stuck on screen. 

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 13th, 2024 19:33

Did you unplug power adapter from PC and did you press/hold power button for ~30 sec after removing old battery, before installing a new one?

What color is PC's power button and steady or blinking. Blinks are an error code so count them.

If you power on and immediately start tapping F12, can you open that menu? If you can, select option to run Diagnostics and run all of them. Copy error messages, if any...

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

March 14th, 2024 00:23

Definitely run diagnostics as RoHe suggested.

Do you have another HDD/SSD you can try in the Inspiron; and/or does the Win7 HDD work in another PC (a PC that isn't too new for Win7)?

If trying a different HDD/SSD in the Inspiron doesn't work, try a BIOS reset.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 14th, 2024 09:59

Hi, Thanks for helping.

Changed HDD, no joy.

See attached vid. Pressing F12 not working.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 14th, 2024 19:35

Try tapping F12 repeatedly, as soon as you power PC on...

What color is power button and steady or blinking? 

If you use a power strip or surge protector, remove them and plug PC directly into a working wall outlet.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 15th, 2024 10:10

@RoHe​ Hi

Try tapping F12 repeatedly, as soon as you power PC on... No joy!

What color is power button and steady or blinking? White, blinking then stops.

If you use a power strip or surge protector, remove them and plug PC directly into a working wall outlet. Direct

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 15th, 2024 18:37

If the power button is steady white, that means PC passed the POST (power on self-test). So that might mean there's a video problem.

Did you accidentally press the (optional) video-input source selector button above the power button which would make the PC look for an external video source (eg, DVD player, game console, laptop, etc)?

That button is #25, here.  Power PC on, then press the button, and wait a few sec to see if there's a response. if not, press again and wait a few...

If that doesn't help, try connecting a video source with an HDMI-OUT port, to the (optional) HDMI-IN port (#11) on the Inspiron 2320 and cycle the button again to see if you can get anything on the screen.

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

March 15th, 2024 23:37

"White, blinking then stops."  Does that mean the power button blinks, then stays on steady, or does it turn off after blinking?  EDIT:  I see from your video it stays on steady.  If it stays on steady, RoHe may be on to something.  If by chance his suggestion doesn't work, I'd still try a BIOS reset as I linked above.

I also remember you still had video onscreen when the PC froze.  Is that still the same?

(edited)

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 15th, 2024 23:49

@bradthetechnut - From the vid posted above, it looks like the power button is steady white. The HDD activity LED, right above the power button (#24 in user guide), blinks and then goes off, when HDD activity stops.

The power button remains solid white throughout the vid, which should mean it successfully completed the POST.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 28th, 2024 09:33

Hi, with #25 I cycled unit I go VDA out. As per pic the same screen appeared on the monitor. I cycled back to PC and now its on the big screen. Keyboard and mouse plugged in at the back USB ports. Still no joy.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 28th, 2024 19:20

Did you ever try removing the new motherboard battery and pressing/holding PC's power button for ~30 sec (power cord unplugged) and then reinstalling the battery, as I suggested above?  You want to make sure BIOS gets cleared...

What happens if you plug in bootable USB stick with power off, and then power on and tap F12 to open the menu, where you would select USB booting?  You can use Rufus (free) to create a bootable USB.

No Events found!