Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

March 6th, 2024 01:57

How to record audio with Inspiron 3020 tower

I was using a previous Dell Inspiron desktop but it could not run Windows 11 so I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 3020 tower running Windows 11. My previous computer had a pink port in the back that I used frequently to record audio using the app called Audacity. I connected a mini TRS cable from my phone's headphone jack to this port, and played audio on the phone and Audacity was able to see and record the audio.

However, the 3020 does not have this pink port on the back, only the green speaker output port. The front has a port with a headset icon. I tried that but Audacity did not see any audio input device. Someone on the Internet said you have to use a mic/earphone splitter cable. I got one and connected my phone to the mic jack on the splitter, but still Audacity did not see any audio device there. I called Dell support and they said this is not supported. Does anyone know how to get this to work? I think it is bad of Dell to have deprecated the pink port. Is it possible to record audio via a USB cable from my phone to the Inspiron 3020? If neither of these work, can someone recommend an inexpensive USB audio interface that would allow me to record audio on the 3020?

Thanks,

Don

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

March 6th, 2024 18:05

Right click on the speaker (sound settings) on the task bar and check the input setting. Audacity can be touchy about that also Audacity has some useful help information on their web site here.

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

March 7th, 2024 02:26

Type and search [Sound settings] in the Windows search bar①, and then click [Open]②. In Sound settings, you are able to choose the Output device③ (such as internal speakers, external speakers, or headset) and the Input device④ (such as internal microphone, external microphone, or earphone).  Oct 25, 2023

Perform a Windows Search for Sound and open Sound settings. Select More sound settings. Tap the Sounds tab to open a list of Program Events and select the sound you want to change.  Mar 15, 2023

With either of the above pghs., it starts with Windows settings, then a search box should be in the window that opens.  You might have to search with "Sound" and not "Sound settings."

With one of those pghs., you should be able to find these windows:

See the selected tabs?  In the 2nd window that pops open when you click on something like line-in, check the box for Listen to this device.

As far as I know, the Windows in the image above got buried a little in Win11, and can't be found from the taskbar anymore with right-clicking on speaker icon and selecting Sound like in Win10.

Another option if no go is a sound card.  If you'd rather not have a PCIe sound card, there's USB options.  USB sound options on Amazon

I don't have Win11, so hopefully I did alright.  Chino de Oro showed me a short while back where to find the aforementioned windows in Win11 buried in Hardware.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

March 7th, 2024 08:51

I have the same system and bought one of these behringer interfaces > https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCA222-U-Control-Ultra-Low-Interface/dp/B0023BYDHK?th=1

There is still an issue with the MaxxAudioPro which mono-fies one channel but there is a way to disable it.

No Events found!