Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

March 12th, 2024 15:02

HDMI Sound Output Device gones after BIOS Update. Inspiron 7700 AIO

HDMI Sound Output Device gone after BIOS Update and Windows Update earlier today.

Used System Restore Point to undo the Windows Update. HDMI Sound still missing.

Must be the BIOS Update that is causing this fault? How to undo BIOS Update?

Or is there a better approach?  Thnx for all help!

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 13th, 2024 01:38

What BIOS version did you install? Version 1.26.0 was released last week.

Did you check in BIOS to see if Audio is enabled in the new BIOS? Enabled means it uses the integrated audio controller. If you're using sound over HDMI, you might need to disable this option, but I'm not certain about that. While in BIOS setup, make sure BIOS Downgrade is enabled. Be sure to save the changes, if any, when you exit.

Did you check the Windows Sound settings screen to be sure HDMI is still the selected sound Output device?

If you still want to downgrade BIOS (with that option enabled), download a prior version of BIOS, one you know had sound over HDMI, from the support site by clicking Older Versions on the main page where it lists BIOS 1.26.0 (not on the specific page for the new version).

Save the prior BIOS .exe file on a (non-bootable) 2-GB USB2 stick (FAT32 format).  Then shut PC down normally.  With PC fully off, plug that USB into PC, power on and tap F12 to open the menu. Select the option to Flash Update BIOS.

When that opens, use the tab key to navigate around. You probably won't have to make changes in any boxes. Assuming the new BIOS .exe file is listed in middle box on right, be sure to highlight/select it. Then check old and new BIOS info at top left and right of screen. If everything is correct, tab to the start button.

Once you launch the update, leave PC entirely alone. It will probably reboot itself several times, and may look like it's off and not doing anything. Just leave it alone until you're safely back at the desktop.

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

March 13th, 2024 13:10

@RoHe​ The BIOS update was indeed to 1.26.0.  After which the Display Audio Driver malfunctioned and then disappeared when I reinstalled the Sa

msung Monitor Driver.

I've created a diagram illustrating the current state of Device Manager drivers for this Dell 7700 vs a MSI laptop with which the monitor/cable combo work perfectly.

Will also try to upload a clear Problem Statement. The main point is that after the BIOS Update, the Monitor HD Audio Driver for Display Audio generated an error message of Hardware device not connected to computer. Upon reinstalling the monitor driver, all Display Audio device drivers disappeared from Device Manager. Video continued to work but audio does not!

Thank you for you help.

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

March 13th, 2024 13:12

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 13th, 2024 18:52

Try this...

Open Device Manager, and click View>Show hidden. Is any device marked with an error flag?  Open that entry and see what error is marked.  If necessary, right-click and uninstall it, including its software.

Then search everywhere in Device Manager for any 'Unknown" device(s). Right-click and delete each of them.

Now click Action>scan for hardware changes. When that's done, reboot and see if the problem is fixed.

If not fixed...

1. At desktop, open a CMD prompt window, Run as administrator
  2. At the prompt, type in: chkdsk c: /r and press Enter. Accept offer to run chkdsk at next boot and reboot. chkdsk will run before Windows loads so be patient. When PC is back at desktop, open the chkdsk log to see if there are any "unfixed" errors.
  3. Assuming no unfixed chkdsk errors, open CMD again, as in #1
  4. At the prompt, type in: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press Enter. Be sure to include a space in front of each / and note any error messages when that's done.
  5.  Assuming no "unfixed" errors in #4, at the CMD prompt, type in: sfc /scannow and press Enter. Be sure to include a space in front of the / and note any errors when that's done.
  6. Assuming no "unfixed" errors in any of above, reboot PC and see if that fixes the problem...

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

March 14th, 2024 13:05

@RoHe​ Hello Ron,

Worked through all the above and still no joy. No S34J55x Intel Display Audio Output object.  Please see attached images.

Thank you for your persistence!

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 14th, 2024 19:57

Let's back up... Why aren't you using the round Audio-Out port on rear of PC?  Why are you trying to use audio over HDMI?  Where are you trying to send the audio output, to an external monitor?

This PC uses Realtek HD Audio. So is this driver installed?

Do you have the NVidia GeForce MX 330 video card in this PC? Do you have to configure the NVidia GPU for audio output over HDMI?

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

March 14th, 2024 22:06

I have been using the Audio Out on the 34-inch Samsung Monitor because it sounded better than the Audio Out on the Dell 7700.  In the past, the Waves Max audio app bundled with the Dell really hurt the sound quality from the Dell. Sometime last year I finally was was able to configure Waves Max to not do anything. but still preferred the sound from the Samsung monitor and had no difficulty using it until this recent update experience.

I have installed the new Realtek HD Audio driver.  It makes no difference -- Samsung still not available for Audio.  I hope Waves Max does not rear its ugly head again.

The instructions on the Nvida web page do not mathc what the Nvida Ctrl Panel shows.  There is no way to deal with the audio setting of various monitors.  The app does shwo that the SAmsung  and the Dell are both connected to the Intel Iris XE graphics for the PHYS (whatever that is...)

I then went to the Intel Graphics Center under Apps and found nothing useful that wasn't already available under System Settings.  There is much detail wrt color schemes, etc, but that is of no interest for me.

DO you see the various images I have uploaded for you?  They are not visible to me once they are uploaded.  I hope they have been helpful.  I found at least one other case like mine online with the same exact monitor losing HDMI Audio after Windows updates on a Dell computer.  It was not solved...

The Dell 7700 has only HDMI 1.4, which is limited to 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz.  The Samsung monitor goes to 3440 x 1440 at 75 Hz, which requires at least HDMI 2.0.  Up to March 12, my system worked fine, but was limited to 1920 x 1080 on the Samsung as would be expected.  I wonder if something has been updated and now requires HDMI 2.0 to even make the audio connection to the Samsung? I have checked with Samsung Tech Support and the Driver has not changed since 2019 and there are not other driver versions.

Thnx for keepin' on!

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 15th, 2024 00:07

Sure your monitor is connected to HDMI-OUT, not HDMI-IN on back of PC?

Are you using only the external monitor or both internal and external?  When PC is on and at desktop, have you tried pressing 2nd button from left on bottom edge of screen to select the external HDMI monitor to see if that enables audio over HDMI?

Does Device Manager identify your Samsung monitor correctly?

Did you try downgrading BIOS to an older version to see if that restores audio over HDMI?

Since you see an NVidia Control Panel window, that implies an NVidia GPU is attached to the motherboard. Is an NVidia GPU listed in Device Manager and marked as "working properly"?

On my desktop running Win 10, I have an entry in Device Manager for (Asus monitor) NVidia HD audio over HDMI, listed under Audio Inputs/Outputs:

I also see a related entry in Device Manager under Sound, video...

Do you see either/both those entries? 

An NVidia sound over HDMI option is also listed on the Win 10 Sound screen on my PC:

I don't use audio over HDMI, so my output device is normally set to Speakers (Realtek). I did try using HDMI once by changing that selection and it worked.

What happens if you disable Intel Display Audio in Device Manager on your PC? Does that make the HDMI option visible and functional?

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

March 19th, 2024 09:38

@RoHe​ Hello Ron,

From your questions it appears you have not received the many jpg files I have attached to our correspondence to help convey the situation.  This Dell site is frustrating in that regards. 

I cannot afford any more down time so will be delaying my BIOS roll-back until I can justify the risk and time required. See you then.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 19th, 2024 18:40

I pinged my Dell contacts about audio over HDMI missing after the BIOS update...

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 20th, 2024 18:37

Follow-up: Can you see all the images you've posted in this thread which you think I haven't seen? 

Been a report another user is posting images, but then that same user can't see their own images in their thread...

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

March 22nd, 2024 20:39

@RoHe

I only see the images I post while I am posting them.

Once posted I do not see them.

The only images I can see in this thread are the ones you have posted.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 23rd, 2024 00:40

Thanks for the info. Exactly same problem the other user reported, so I'll pass the info along so moderators can check your forum account for permission errors.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 28th, 2024 22:48

@csrote  Please try to post another pic in this thread. Use one that you previously tried to post in this thread, which disappeared and was never visible...

April 2nd, 2024 02:24

Same problem. No HDMI audio option to be found after BIOS update. Wasted time on many other attempts at fixing it.

(edited)

No Events found!