Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

3 Posts

February 27th, 2024 11:09

E520 won’t boot

Wondering if anyone can help. I’ve got an old e520 that I haven’t used for probably 10+months. In that time it hasn’t been left plugged in. I tried to turn it on yesterday and it loads the dell logo then the monitor just shows loss of connection to the pc. I had a look in the event log to see that the 2032 batter had gone flat so I changed that and reset the date. Still the same issue but with no new events logged. The pc fan comes on as usual, I get two single beeps and then a sort of click noise and the screen goes blank. Lights 1,2 and 3 are lit on the front and the power button is solid green.

I'm aware this post is in the wrong place but wasn’t sure where else to put it. 

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

February 27th, 2024 15:27

When you changed the CR2032 battery, did you leave it out for a few minutes before installing the new battery? Also try reseating the RAM. That error as shown here at manualslib may offer some help. Check all the cables and reseat them. Also make sure that the system is trying to boot from the proper drive in the BIOS.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

February 27th, 2024 15:27

Sounds like after replacing dimension E520 cmos battery you are able to enter bios to change date time.  So the pc can post but cannot boot into OS.  

try reset or load bios defaults in bios, save changes, exit.

if still no video after Dell logo, try clear cmos settings via motherboard jumper.

if still no, 

need to r/o bad old HDD.  I would try replace the HDD with a working hard drive and try a clean OS install.  I might have one of these pc before and they look like a baby version of Dimension 9200/XPS400.  Windows vista or 7 should run.

PS JO beat me first

(edited)

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

February 27th, 2024 15:30

1 Follow the procedures in "Before You Begin" on page 59.
2 Reset the current CMOS settings:
a Locate both the 2-pin password jumper (CLRPSWD) and the 2-pin CMOS jumper (CLRCMOS) on the system board (see "System Board Components" on page 68).
b Remove the 2-pin password jumper (CLRPSWD) from its pins.
c Place the password jumper plug on the CLRCMOS pins and wait approximately 5 seconds.
d Remove the jumper plug from the CLRCMOS pins and place it back upon the password (CLRPSWD) pins.
3 Close the computer cover (see "Replacing the Computer Cover" on page 106).

https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-e520_owner's%20manual_en-us.pdf#page121

3 Posts

March 1st, 2024 08:48

Thank you for the replies. Removed the ram and reinstalled, used the jumper and reset the bios. Still didn’t want to boot. Tried over and over until it did eventually boot normally once. Ran fine so shut it down as normal then the next day it wouldn’t boot again. Tried all the steps again and eventually it would boot (after probably 20 failed attempts). Instead of shutting it down I left it asleep. Came back to it and it wouldn’t show anything on the monitor even though I could hear the computer running properly. Turned it off, used the jumper again and after maybe 5 attempts it booted. I don’t know if it’s worth mentioning but on the failed attempts the hard drive makes a small amount of noise then sort of clicks and goes quiet but the fault lights come up and I get the 2 beeps. 

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

March 2nd, 2024 04:19

that sounds like the old psu is failing.

3 Posts

March 5th, 2024 11:18

@redxps630​ thank you, I’ll try to find a different one to try on it 

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

March 7th, 2024 02:48

May want to try a different HDD first.

No Events found!