Start a Conversation

Unsolved

CM

4 Posts

March 1st, 2024 12:30

Connecting another tower

I have an Inspiron 5459 Aio and I want to connect another pc to it to just use the screen. Just bought an optiflex 7040 sff and connected the display port cable from optiflex to Inspiron using the hdmi in. 

I was expecting the Inspiron to recognise the new tower but nothing. What have I missed or done wrong.

Please advise 

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

March 1st, 2024 15:06

So I assume you used a DP to HDMI adapter. The 7040 has an HDMI port as per the user manual so have you tried an HDMI to HDMI cable? Also make sure you connect to the HDMI IN port on the 5459 which is the lower HDMI port.

(edited)

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

March 1st, 2024 18:43

In addition to verifying for proper connection setup as suggested by JOcean, you also need to use OSD button to select the video input to switch display from Inspiron to OptiPlex screen.

Dell On-Screen Display (OSD) allows you to control the brightness bar, change the input source, and turn the screen on or off through the OSD button https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=449vr&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-24-5459-aio

March 2nd, 2024 18:53

Thanks for reply. My 7040 sff does not have hdmi port only 2 X display port. The seller included an adapter, DP to hdtv female to which I attached a HDMI lead and connected to hdmi in.

Not being convinced this was correct I have just bought an DP to HDMI lead with NO adapter but haven't had chance to try it yet

March 2nd, 2024 18:55

Thanks for replying. Where is the OSD button on my 5459. I have looked everywhere and I can't find it.

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

March 3rd, 2024 15:00

Did you install the OSD application?  The button should be next to power button, BIST button.  On your model, it probably is on the right side and above the power button.

March 4th, 2024 16:15

Hi and thanks again. Yes I downloaded the OSD app but when I opened the app it wouldn't let me modify.

The uninstall button was lit but the modify button wasn't.

Is this because I have windows 10 Home and not Pro. As for the bist button I still can't find it. It's not next to the power supply on the rear and on the side there is the on/off button with 3 more above that. The top 2 increase or decrease the screen lighting and the one above the on/off just goes black when I press it. Fed up to be honest and sorry I started it and bothered you guys 

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

March 4th, 2024 19:54

I know it's a different system but Dell designs similar input selection process for the AIO systems.  You can see from another thread to see if something may have been missing.  https://www.dell.com/community/en/conversations/inspiron-desktops/hdmi-input-on-7700-aio-display-bist-button-no-effect-is-dell-on-screen-display-application0ydh6win1010a0103-required/65df52474fbcff36e59c92c0?commentId=65e5ba66f43ded53e44a46dc

No Events found!