Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

February 23rd, 2024 03:13

Does the drivers and downloads for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 work with Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS?

The server model is PowerEdge R730, the host OS is Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS, and the remote server management system is Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller 8.

We would like to upgrade BIOS, iDRAC and Driver Pack in-bound (i.e. inside the host OS). But there is no Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS for us to choose in the Operating System drop-down list. If we forcibly choose Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8, does the downloaded .BIN file works also for Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS? At least the file name does not change for different Linux distro.

• 

2.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2024 07:35

Hello, While it’s true that many Linux distributions share similar components and can often use the same drivers, it’s not guaranteed that a driver or software package designed for one distribution will work flawlessly on another. I think both are Linux distributions, they have different kernels, libraries, and software management systems, which could lead to compatibility issues.

iDRAC 8, it’s a hardware-based system management technology, and its compatibility is less dependent on the operating system. While it might be possible to use the Red Hat drivers and software on Ubuntu, it’s not guaranteed to work and could potentially cause issues.

Hope that helps!

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

February 23rd, 2024 07:55

Do you have Ubuntu Server iDRAC for R730? R740 supports Ubuntu. Is it possible the webpage misses Ubuntu?

• 

2.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2024 08:08

Unfortunately there is no official support for Ubuntu. You can see via the link Supported Operating Systems | Dell US

Although this doesn't mean it won't work at all, It hasn't been tested officially by Dell. I found this from Ubuntu website it mentioned R730 Dell Technologies PowerEdge R730 certified with Ubuntu | Ubuntu

And this drwas my attention Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS for Dell PowerEdge Systems Release Notes | Dell US

I think probably it will run on R730. But I don't know since I haven't tried it personally.

At this point, our community can help with their experience. 

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

February 23rd, 2024 08:36

May I submit a ticket asking Dell to perform a thorough test of Ubuntu 22.04.3 Server LTS on PowerEdge R730? We purchased hundreds of Dell PowerEdge servers so I would greatly appreciate it if you can consider such a test.

• 

2.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2024 08:48

Thanks for your feedback, I understand your situation. Not to my knowledge, but I haven't also seen an R730 with Ubuntu as an OEM. Personally, I do not have a laboratory environment where I can try this. Of course it would be unofficial. Or I don't have the authority to approve it. I think you can call your local support team and consult the deployment service for further assistance. Or maybe a resolution manager from the support team may have a referral. This will be a healthy method. 

No Events found!