Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

January 10th, 2024 19:43

Dell OpenManage Enterprise 4.0 VHD Install

Hello all, I downloaded the latest Hyper-V OME 4.0 vhd file and after creating the VM, assigning 16GB RAM and 4 processors, I just get a blinking cursor on a black screen when trying to boot it up, no errors.  I have tried installing it on several servers (Server 2019 and Server 2022 hosts) and get the same issue.  Any suggestions?

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 6th, 2024 00:11

Thank you to all who replied.  None of those solutions worked for me so I had stayed with 3.x.  I decided to give it another shot today and what ended up working was adding some extra processors (12 total) and extra RAM (64gb).  Once I did that, it took about 10 minutes for it to initialize and get to the GUI.  Once it was all configured, I shut it down, reduced the processors back to 8 and 32gb of RAM and it is now good to go. 

• 

3.2K Posts

January 11th, 2024 12:13

The issue you're encountering with the Dell OpenManage Enterprise 4.0 VHD file may be due to a corrupt or incompatible installation package or a configuration issue within Hyper-V. Here's a step-by-step guide to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

1. Verify the Integrity of the VHD File:
    1. Download the latest copy of the Dell OpenManage Enterprise 4.0 VHD file from the official Dell support website.
    2. Calculate the checksum value of the downloaded file using a checksum utility like GnuPG or WinSCP.
    3. Compare the calculated checksum value with the provided checksum value in the Dell support documentation to ensure the integrity of the file.
  1. Recreate the Hyper-V Virtual Machine:
    1. Delete the existing Hyper-V virtual machine that you created using the downloaded VHD file.
    2. Navigate to the location of the downloaded VHD file.
    3. Right-click the VHD file and select "Attach to a Virtual Machine."
    4. Select the Hyper-V host where you want to deploy the virtual machine.
    5. Assign 16GB of RAM and 4 processors to the virtual machine.
    6. Click "Finish" to create the virtual machine.
  1. Check Hyper-V Settings:
    1. Ensure that Hyper-V Integration Services are installed and running on the Hyper-V host.
    2. Verify that the Hyper-V host has adequate resources, such as RAM and CPU, to support the Dell OpenManage Enterprise virtual machine.
    3. Check for any recent Hyper-V updates or patches that may have introduced compatibility issues with the Dell OpenManage Enterprise virtual machine.
  1. Check Dell OpenManage Enterprise Compatibility:
    1. Ensure that the Dell OpenManage Enterprise 4.0 version is compatible with the Hyper-V 2019 and 2022 hosts you're using.
    2. Verify that the Dell OpenManage Enterprise virtual machine meets the minimum hardware requirements, particularly RAM and CPU specifications.
  1. Consult Dell Support: If the issue persists after trying the above steps, contact Dell technical support for further assistance. They may provide additional troubleshooting steps or identify specific known issues with the Dell OpenManage Enterprise 4.0 VHD file or Hyper-V compatibility.

1 Message

January 20th, 2024 06:47

Yup... I'm having the exact same problem. 

Windows Server 2019 - Fully up to date

16GB Memory assigned to VM
4 Processors assigned to VM
Integration Services - All Enabled

Followed the OM Enterprise Installation documentation and steps Martin S mentioned above 3 times now, and every time I start the Hyper-V VM it just goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor and never does anything. 

Bummer... I was really looking forward to playing with OM Enterprise, as I have about 60 Dell PowerEdge servers I manage :( 

(edited)

1 Message

January 24th, 2024 10:06

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem too.
Windows Server 2019 - Fully up to date.

16 GB RAM assigned to VM

4 vCPUs assigned to VM
All integration services are enabled

VM set to Gen. 1 VM
Why are two drives included in the zip file?

Greetings

Andreas

1 Rookie

• 

15 Posts

January 25th, 2024 11:52

It is misunderstooding on Dell documentation site. VM is not Gen1, but Gen2 and you have to use Hyper-V import virtual machine setting on unziped downloaded file. This will import VM as Gen2 with two drives (EFI and data). Dell documentation on Openmanage Enterprise download page for Hyper-V is outdated.

BTW there is another problem when upgrading from OME 3.10 to 4 with decryption password. So upgrading is not possible for now. See this thread.

VP

3 Posts

February 26th, 2024 18:52

Encountered the same (apparent) issue.  Two steps fixed it for me:

1. Per the deployment documentation, set the VM memory to no less than 32GB.
  2. PATIENCE.  It took several (10-15 maybe) minutes for system to proceed and finally spin up the Terminal User Interface with options to set hostname and IP address.  Once an IP was set and the web portal reachable, it took another several (10-15 maybe) minutes of displaying "Loading... Services are starting up" before it finally prompted for a fresh login and provided links for Initial Settings and Discover Devices.

Hang in there...

• 

3.7K Posts

February 27th, 2024 06:29

Hello, just leaving this for future reference-

https://dell.to/431wrDu

OME 4.0 with default installed has 2 plugins already added 

so make it 16 + 2 + 8 =26
ESXi deployment with OVF will default to 64GB

the difference with OVF VM is already preconfigured, with Hyper-V is it manual process 

(edited)

No Events found!