Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

May 9th, 2024 16:44

Aurora R13, replacement Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fan failure

Hi

Today I've replaced two of my fans (Top and lower-front) on my Aurora R13 with noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
When booting up the system there's an error message telling me that both of those fans have failed to work. Error code is 2000-0511 when running quick diagnostics and when running dell supportassist error is Fans - Functional Tests - D0501.
Also lower-front fan is working properly and just isn't seen by the system while top one is spinning for like few seconds when booting up and then just stops spinning completely.

Should I just replace them back while I still can return them or is it there a fix to it.

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

May 9th, 2024 17:05

The top fan stopping is a problem; make sure it is properly connected to the motherboard header. The errors result because the Noctua fans do not meet the Dell diagnostics ramp-up criteria. One work around is to connect an OEM fan and a Noctua fan with a PWM Y-splitter cable, making sure the Dell OEM fan is connected to the 4-pin side of the PWM Y-splitter. You would need to do this for each Noctua fan, or use a PWM 3-way splitter cable. Another thing you can try is to hold down the ESC key when you power-up, to hopefully skip the startup diagnostic test.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

May 9th, 2024 18:07

@ProfessorW00d​ 

Okay I've decided to replace new fans with my old one and there's next issue. My Aurora has 4 fans in total: Cpu fan, top fan and two front ones. Despite that everytime I boot up my system I get error about rear fan failure, every other fan works perfectly and despite having 4, my system checks those 4 + rear fan.

Is there a fix to that?

(edited)

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

May 9th, 2024 21:36

@Mik0l4j​    is your CPU air cooled or liquid cooled?

Try moving the fan connector you have in CPU fan to the motherboard header FAN_SYS1 rear-chassis fan.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

May 9th, 2024 22:15

@ProfessorW00d​ Liquid cooled

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

May 10th, 2024 03:49

@Mik0l4j​   OK . . . I do not have a R13 to confirm, but I suspect that the CPU fan is for an air cooled processor, and rear-chassis fan is the fan on the radiator of a liquid cooled processor. So, as mentioned previously, consider connecting that radiator fan to FAN_SYS1 mobo header.

No Events found!