Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

1 Rookie

• 

92 Posts

July 10th, 2023 11:00

Aurora 15, quality of build and components?

Hi,

I am contemplating purchasing an Aurora 15 with the top of the line CPU and video card.  I purchased a Dell Inspiron desktop in the past and was not at all impressed or happy with the quality of the chassis, etc, into which the components were installed.  The sheet metal seemed to be of inferior quality, remarkably thin in fact, and the whole thing just was not impressive.  Yes it worked very well and as advertised but it didn't seem to be the same build quality that I would have expected from a better Dell product.

I'd appreciate anyone who owns an Aurora 15 letting me know that they think about the build quality and the quality of the components that are used in the Aurora 15.

Thanks much!

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

July 10th, 2023 16:00

Disclaimer: I don't have an Aurora R15, but I will take a shot at a response until someone else chimes in.

Top of the line to me means; i9-13900KF processor, nVidia RTX 4090 graphics card, 64Gb (2 x 32GB) dual channel RAM, 1350 watt PSU . . . of course Cryo-Tech 240mm liquid cooled CPU

The aluminum chassis with which you were disappointed previously has not improved, but it is surrounded and supported by ginormous plastic shrouding, so pretty solid. The new 1350 watt PSU is SFFX format, so not proprietary as earlier model PSU's. The CPU liquid cooling has finally graduated to a 240mm radiator (long overdue) and is supported by 2 intake fans and an exhaust fan . . . so much improved cooling over previous Aurora generations. The RTX 4090 is Alienware designed and I believe manufactured by MSI. The nVidia Ada Lovelace architecture runs cooler than Ampere and the PCB is  "Reference Design". RAM is DDR5 5200 MHz XMP and the 125 watt processor turbos @ 5.8 GHz. What's not to love??

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

July 10th, 2023 20:00

. . . and build your own if you've got the time/wherewithal

1 Rookie

• 

92 Posts

July 10th, 2023 17:00

Professor, I appreciate the input.  Your choice of CPU, GPU, memory and cooling was what I am looking at.  Sounds like a computer to love!

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

July 10th, 2023 18:00

All I can say is, research and look around before dropping 5K on a computer...

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

July 11th, 2023 06:00

Or wait for sales, as sometimes you can get really good clearance deals on a previous generation that still performs great in todays world.

Really depends on what you are planning on using the machine for, but for most use it's not required to have the latest and greatest hardware to enjoy yourself.

No Events found!