Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 8th, 2018 05:00

XPS 8500, reinstall issues

I posted a little while ago. My XPS-8500 which came with Windows 8 and was free upgraded to Windows 10 has a failing HDD so I'm going to have to put in a new one & reinstall. I can't find a sticker with my windows key. I have the Dell service tag & express service code. I have extracted the key being used, but I read that with some Windows installations, that isn't the same as the thing you will need to type in because of something called System Locked Pre  installation keys. I also have a made-by-Dell Windows 8 recovery disk and have created a recent Windows 10 recovery USB.

If I want to keep my bundled Dell software, what's the way to reinstall? Is the key actually being used now the one I will need? Will I even need to type one in? If I install Windows 10 which is an upgrade, will it let me install and not type anything in? The PC is linked to my MS account. Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 8th, 2018 11:00

@Chris246 wrote:

1. I can't find a sticker with my windows key. 

2. I have extracted the key being used,

3. I also have a made-by-Dell Windows 8 recovery disk and have created a recent Windows 10 recovery USB.

4. If I want to keep my bundled Dell software, what's the way to reinstall?

5. Is the key actually being used now the one I will need? 

1. Then it's likely burned into BIOS

2. Can't hurt

3. Good , can't hurt

4. I would clean install Windows-10
Not sure why you want old bundled Dell Software. Is that old Dell-OEM version even compatible with Windows-10?

If you must ... Install each Dell software package you want ... separately. 

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Need-help-factory-reinstalling-Windows-10-on-new-Alienware-R7/m-p/6065386/highlight/true#M3167

Personally, I would clean install Windows-10 and install NO Dell software. What piece of Dell software is it exactly that you think you need?

• 

16.7K Posts

October 8th, 2018 06:00

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

October 8th, 2018 08:00

@Chris246 wrote:

I posted a little while ago. My XPS-8500 which came with Windows 8 and was free upgraded to Windows 10 has a failing HDD so I'm going to have to put in a new one & reinstall. I can't find a sticker with my windows key. I have the Dell service tag & express service code. I have extracted the key being used, but I read that with some Windows installations, that isn't the same as the thing you will need to type in because of something called System Locked Pre  installation keys. I also have a made-by-Dell Windows 8 recovery disk and have created a recent Windows 10 recovery USB.

If I want to keep my bundled Dell software, what's the way to reinstall? Is the key actually being used now the one I will need? Will I even need to type one in? If I install Windows 10 which is an upgrade, will it let me install and not type anything in? The PC is linked to my MS account. Thanks

The best way is to download on another PC, Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.

Use it to create bootable USB drive.

Install Windows 10 and skip the part about entering the product key.

Windows 10 will activate automatically when the laptop goes online.

29 Posts

October 12th, 2018 08:00

Belarc Advisor is a nice little tool that will give you a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware and displays the results in your Web browser.   I love it because it provides a list of all of your software, including version, as well as product keys for most items. 

Please note that there is a footnote "e" on the report that says, "This may be the manufacturer's factory installed product key rather than yours."   So no guarantees but for me, the product keys are my actual product keys for Microsoft products (Windows and Office).

No Events found!