Customizing Reports - Enterprise Reporter Custom Reports - Enterprise Reporter Custom Reports - Dell Community

Customizing Reports

Enterprise Reporter Custom Reports

Enterprise Reporter Custom Reports
Find, share and request custom reports you would like to see in Enterprise Reporter.

Customizing Reports

This question has been answered by DELL-Samer E

Hoping somone can give me some guidance or point me in the right direction...

I have been using Quest Reporter for some time and have quite a few custom reports created. I have installed Enterprise Reporter 2.0 and looking to move over my reports, but i havent found anything that suggests i can do that. So i decided to create a report within Enterpriser Reporter. One thing i noticed is that in the old version of Reporter i was able to essentially link attributes from other reports into one report giving me a more complete report. Is this possible in Enterprise Reporter and if so how does one do this.

Verified Answer
  • So please make sure you ran the computer discovery with the “Extend WMI Entities” checked to collect the information. Please then follow the below steps:

1.  1. Launch the Report Manager

2.  2. Right click on “My Reports” and select “Create Report…”

3.  3. Type in the Report name, author and description

4.  4. Click on “Fields” tab

5.  5. Select the report type, in this case “_CIM2_Win32_OperatingSystem”

6.  6. Add the fields that you want to show in your report including the “Server Type” since you want to report only on Domain Controllers. For SAMAccountName, use ComputerName

7.  7. Click on “Parameters” tab and click on “Create”

8.  8. You can keep the type as optional

9.  9. Select the “Server Type” from the drop down menu and for condition, select “Contains”

10.10. Check the box for “Supply default value” and check “Domain Controller”

11.11. Click on the “Layout” tab and create the layout using the layout designer or the auto generate layout option.

I have created a sample report using the layout designer which will provide information on the fields that are inside the  CIMV2_Wins32_OperatingSytem  report type. Right click on “Import…”.

The sample report (Enterprise Reporter 2.0) can be found on:

http://communities.quest.com/docs/DOC-15687

Thanks,

Samer

• You can use only one report type at a time with Enterprise Reporter. The report types used to determine what fields can be added to your report. The fields can be from multiple related entities. For example, you may have a discovery created to collect on AD information and another one to collect on NTFS permissions. If you look at the “File and Folder Permissions” report type, it includes fields related to NTFS and NTFS permissions. Since the permissions are related to accounts, you will also see fields for domain users, domain groups, local user and local groups.

Since we don’t collect on WMI fields by default (they have to be extended), we don’t have canned reports for WMI. WMI reports need to be created from scratch. But you don’t have to use custom query for this. In my previous note, I extended Win32_OperatingSystem class, so a new report type got created for this class and it contains fields from Win32_OperatingSystem class and also fields from computer entity such as computer name, server type, etc. So all you need is to add these fields to the report and use the auto-generate layout option or customize the layout using the layout designer.

Please try the report that I provided and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Samer

All Replies
  • Can you please provide more details about the attributes that you are trying to link to?

Enterprise Reporter uses Report Types which are used to determine what fields can be added in each report. For example, creating a report using “Group Members” report type, allows you to add fields related to the domain group, the domain that group is in and also fields related to the nested users and nested groups (in which you use the link in option with Quest Reporter).

Thanks,

Samer

• Here is an example of what i am trying to do

In Quest Reporter i had a report that would provide me attributes from the Computer Report

Build Number

Domain

SAM Account NAme

Service Pack

Windows Product Name

Windows Version

This report also had WMI quieries attached to it collecting the following data elements

SerialNumber

Manufacturer

this report was targeted at looking at domain controllers only

how do i get this type of report generated in Enterprise Reporter.

i am starting with the basic Computer Information Report and then looking to customize it

• and i did extend the enterprise reporter attributes to include the WMI Classes I needed

• So please make sure you ran the computer discovery with the “Extend WMI Entities” checked to collect the information. Please then follow the below steps:

1.  1. Launch the Report Manager

2.  2. Right click on “My Reports” and select “Create Report…”

3.  3. Type in the Report name, author and description

4.  4. Click on “Fields” tab

5.  5. Select the report type, in this case “_CIM2_Win32_OperatingSystem”

6.  6. Add the fields that you want to show in your report including the “Server Type” since you want to report only on Domain Controllers. For SAMAccountName, use ComputerName

7.  7. Click on “Parameters” tab and click on “Create”

8.  8. You can keep the type as optional

9.  9. Select the “Server Type” from the drop down menu and for condition, select “Contains”

10.10. Check the box for “Supply default value” and check “Domain Controller”

11.11. Click on the “Layout” tab and create the layout using the layout designer or the auto generate layout option.

I have created a sample report using the layout designer which will provide information on the fields that are inside the  CIMV2_Wins32_OperatingSytem  report type. Right click on “Import…”.

The sample report (Enterprise Reporter 2.0) can be found on:

http://communities.quest.com/docs/DOC-15687

Thanks,

Samer

• Ill try this out but I was hoping to combine a "canned report" with WMI queries to get what i needed, are you suggesting that the only way to combine any data from any type of report category is to create a custom query.

• You can use only one report type at a time with Enterprise Reporter. The report types used to determine what fields can be added to your report. The fields can be from multiple related entities. For example, you may have a discovery created to collect on AD information and another one to collect on NTFS permissions. If you look at the “File and Folder Permissions” report type, it includes fields related to NTFS and NTFS permissions. Since the permissions are related to accounts, you will also see fields for domain users, domain groups, local user and local groups.

Since we don’t collect on WMI fields by default (they have to be extended), we don’t have canned reports for WMI. WMI reports need to be created from scratch. But you don’t have to use custom query for this. In my previous note, I extended Win32_OperatingSystem class, so a new report type got created for this class and it contains fields from Win32_OperatingSystem class and also fields from computer entity such as computer name, server type, etc. So all you need is to add these fields to the report and use the auto-generate layout option or customize the layout using the layout designer.

Please try the report that I provided and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Samer