Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.titleemph {mso-style-name:title_emph;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} To:  osprey4

It has taken awhile, but the bottom line is that the situation on my Samsung CD drive has not changed.  First, on some investigation, it was recommended that the drive be removed and the lens cleaned manually.  I did remove the drive, but as far as I can tell, the lens is not easily accessible.  I then purchased an “Allsop Lens Cleaner” and put it through its paces.  The drive still reads some and will not read other CDs it did before.  Unless there are other steps that can be suggested, it appears the next one is to replace the drive as you mentioned.

Perhaps this would be an appropriate time to mention that I also have a Philips DVD drive (Philips DVD8601 DVD+RW Drive) on the same computer.  It works better, but also will not read some of the same CDs that the Samsung CD drive has problems with.  Also, it has decided not to format new or reformat old discs.  I have installed the upgrade software for this drive recommended by Dell with some improvement, but it still has some of the above problems.  I have also used a DVD lens cleaner on it with marginal improvement. 

The fact that both drives have similar (but not exactly the same problems) lead me to expand my thinking.  Could the problem be elsewhere in the computer?

Thanks for any help or suggestion.