XPS 730 MLK Issues - Application (games, office, etc)

Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous
A description has not yet been added to this group.

XPS 730 MLK Issues - Application (games, office, etc)

• Use this thread to post any Application (games, office, etc) issues. Post as much detail as possible.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• 3DMark05 would not run? Possibly due to 64 operating system?

3DMark06 ran but PC restarted in the middle of the program. Tried 3 times with same result.

• DELL-Chris M wrote:
    3DMark05 would not run? Possibly due to 64 operating system?

3DMark06 ran but PC restarted in the middle of the program. Tried 3 times with same result.

I can say mine ran through 3DMark06 without hitch. I can't tell you the results, because the "free version" requires you "post results to the web"... not going to do that! It's fun to watch an 8 processor system fighting through 20 frames at 2-3fps using a software renderer on the CPU test.

I also ran it Demo mode with audio. Ran fine.

• Looks like the PCI Express x16 slot closest to the ram is faulty. 3DMark06 ran fine when I moved the video card to the other slots.

• DELL-Chris M wrote:
    Looks like the PCI Express x16 slot closest to the ram is faulty. 3DMark06 ran fine when I moved the video card to the other slots.

Nice. Not even going to ask how you figured that out... Okay, how did you figure that out?:smileyhappy:

So I guess this is isolated to your mobo? Mine is also in the slot closest to the RAM.

Other feedback...

Got Bioshock and Call of Duty 4 installed.

I set Bioshock to 16xq AA and 16 AF in the nVidia utility. After about an hour of play, I started getting a few artifacts here and there... didnt look the normal "spikes" you would see overclocking the memory... just a few textures floating in mid air. I'll try dialing back the AA and AF and see if that has any effect. I also installed FRAPS to take screenshots if it happens again. Does this forum allow you to upload images/attachments?  

In any case, the system is running extremely well. With everything cranked, gameplay was smooth as glass and looks great.

When exiting Bioshock, Vista returns a "windows closed this program" error when it reaches the desktop. Doesn't look like anything went wrong... just returns a error each time. I'll google that and see if it's related to 64-bit.

Call of Duty 4 is running without any problems... just using 4x AA through the application settings and level of detail cranked.

• nZane,

Now, I am not sure what the issue is. 3DMark06 will run 3 or 4 times, then lockup. Will remove the Nvidia GTX 280 and try a Nvidia 8800 GT.

Nope, locked up with the 8800 GT. Looks like I will be reinstalling the operating system.
    Message Edited by DELL-Chris M on 09-26-2008 04:24 PM

• 3DMark Vantage keeps locking up with a BSOD (4x in a row restarting between each attempt). I need to reinstall the operating system.

• Well that's no bueno, Chris... 

I've been running the 3DMark06 and Vantage benchmarks several times and haven't run into any problems. Left it looping in demo mode for about 30 minutes, and it's stable.

Registered 3DMark06
    Scored 17207
    SM2.0 score 6990
    HDR/SM3.0 score 7328
    CPU score 5649

Registered 3DMark Vantage

Scored P11255
    GPU 9836 and CPU 19844

• Quake 4 runs like a champ. Vista gets cranky during the install and cites a "compatibility problem" but it installed fine. In order to run Punk Buster, you have to "Run as Administrator" but, again, that's a known issue with Vista.

16x AA with Ultra Detail (no compression on anything) finally yanked the framerate down to unplayable at 1280x1024. With no AA, it runs great. Ultra Detail defaults to 8x Anisotropic Filtering.

Online Multiplayer extremely smooth.  

• Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning runs perfectly. Installed it last night and got in a couple hours leveling up a Sorceror. Impressive to run it on this system.

Also installed Ventrilo 3.0.3 x64 Alpha. Will be testing this evening.

Message Edited by nZane on 10-08-2008 07:23 PM
  • All,

I tested the Alienware LED application. It works on both the XPS 730X and the XPS 630.

• Loaded Vista Ultimate 64 fresh, loaded all drivers. Two issues

1. Thermal app won't run. It launches but never gets to the GUI. I still have the out of the box BIOS so maybe that's it. Anyone else seen this? AlienFX, IXTU both work great.

Here is the error information from Vista:

ThermalApp has stopped working...
    Description:
      Stopped working

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
      Problem Signature 01: thermalapp.exe
      Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.7
      Problem Signature 03: 48f61b9e
      Problem Signature 04: ThermalApp
      Problem Signature 05: 1.0.0.7
      Problem Signature 06: 48f61b9e
      Problem Signature 07: 80
      Problem Signature 08: 18
      Problem Signature 09: PSZQOADHX1U5ZAHBHOHGHLDGIY4QIXHX
      OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID: 1033

2. 3DMark Vantage runs but the first test is just graphics trash (I'm running a R700 with R2101785 driver). The backgrounds wash out to just noise.

WoW runs great. Hope to get some real apps ;) installed tonight.

Message Edited by russelldt on 10-22-2008 08:35 PM
  • I upgraded BIOS (1.14 over the weekend and .15 today) and the Thermal app seems to run fine in V-64. Great GUI, but probably needs some type of help file.

Need to fine out from Cristen how to set the rear CPU fan speed (shows an RPM, but no way to control it). Might be controlled by some other fan, but all the more reason for some instructions.

• I do not see bios 1.15 out here?