Is the Trending XML fully documented? - BB Custom Topics A - D - Big Brother - Dell Community

Is the Trending XML fully documented?

Big Brother

Big Brother
Access more than 800 custom test extensions to share or use in resolving your IT challenges.

Is the Trending XML fully documented?

This question has been answered by robert.croteau

Guys,

I know about the online doc that attempts to explain the structure of the XML used to add trending, but I need a better, more complete explanation of the length and breath of what's possible. The document doesn't give any limits or available values. I need to understand the following:

1. How many graphs can go on a page? The online doc is vague and says 2 or 3, but what if I need more? Do I have to create new tests to allow more trends?
  2. How does one make more than one trend line appear within a single x-y graph? What are the allowable colors? (the doc only lists red).
  3. How does the graphing process deal with 7 days, months, etc? Is the data reduced in separate files? Or does the process just select data at a larger interval (data decimation)?
  4. Is it possible to alter the data color over time as a means to show when a limit is exceeded? Since the color is sent with every datapoint, what's happens when you change the color over time?

I have several older BB tests that I would like to add XML trending data to, but the example given doesn't give me enough to go on and it seems to be an all or nothing proposition. I've experimented with code to try to reverse engineer how to send data to trend, but most of my tries produced no data on the BB server's perf directory and no way to tell what I was doing wrong. I've gotten some trends to work by tracing the traffic from BBNT, but this is NOT a good way to proceed and doesn't tell me what I can and cannot do.

Any help would be appreciated. Doc

Jim Graczyk

PS - I posted a similar message on the end of one of the threads I had been involved with that had the online doc mentioned. This message supercedes that message.

Verified Answer
  • 1) I'm not sure what you are asking. Can you be more explicit?

2) Colors are picked by the graphing library. A new color is used for each trendline in a graph. Available colors are defined in skins/eng/amcharts_settings/settings.xml (<colors></colors> entries)

3) Time ranges are calculated on the fly. The software tries to create about 350 data points from the period. Yearly graph calculates about 1 day per data point. Monthly is about 2hours data points, etc...

4) For now colors defined in the xml are unused (AFAIK). They may be in the future.

as for multiple trendlines, you can do as following (say %used per drive on a server, and there are 2 drives; C and D)

<xml>

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<bbperfdata>

<form> 4.60 </form>

<comm>

<hname>

Put the hostname here</hname>

<loc>

</loc>

<sname>

Put a service name here</sname>

<logcol>

whatever color generated by your test for this host.service</logcol>

</comm>

<inst>

<iname> C </iname>

<icol>

color for this drive</icol>

<obj>

<iobj>

%used</iobj>

<val>

75</val>

</obj>

</inst>

<inst>

<iname> D </iname>

<icol>

<obj>

<iobj>

%used</iobj>

<val>

60</val>

</obj>

</inst>

</bbperfdata>

</xml>

this should create under bbvar/perf/hostname/service two files, C.%used and D.%used and when you view the status log for host.service, and you trend it, there should be a single graph with two trendlines (one for C and one for D). Each drive is defined in a <inst></inst> block. AFAIK, there are no limits on the number of graphs, also, there's no limit on trendlines on a single graph but if the values differ too much (say one line returns GB and all others return MB (a factor of 10)), you may not be able to view some trendlines properly.

bye

All Replies
  • 1) I'm not sure what you are asking. Can you be more explicit?

2) Colors are picked by the graphing library. A new color is used for each trendline in a graph. Available colors are defined in skins/eng/amcharts_settings/settings.xml (<colors></colors> entries)

3) Time ranges are calculated on the fly. The software tries to create about 350 data points from the period. Yearly graph calculates about 1 day per data point. Monthly is about 2hours data points, etc...

4) For now colors defined in the xml are unused (AFAIK). They may be in the future.

as for multiple trendlines, you can do as following (say %used per drive on a server, and there are 2 drives; C and D)

<xml>

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<bbperfdata>

<form> 4.60 </form>

<comm>

<hname>

Put the hostname here</hname>

<loc>

</loc>

<sname>

Put a service name here</sname>

<logcol>

whatever color generated by your test for this host.service</logcol>

</comm>

<inst>

<iname> C </iname>

<icol>

<obj>

<iobj>

%used</iobj>

<val>

75</val>

</obj>

</inst>

<inst>

<iname> D </iname>

<icol>

<obj>

<iobj>

%used</iobj>

<val>

60</val>

</obj>

</inst>

</bbperfdata>

</xml>

this should create under bbvar/perf/hostname/service two files, C.%used and D.%used and when you view the status log for host.service, and you trend it, there should be a single graph with two trendlines (one for C and one for D). Each drive is defined in a <inst></inst> block. AFAIK, there are no limits on the number of graphs, also, there's no limit on trendlines on a single graph but if the values differ too much (say one line returns GB and all others return MB (a factor of 10)), you may not be able to view some trendlines properly.

bye