monitor remote oracle database..checking on some ports - BB Custom Topics A - D - Big Brother - Dell Community

monitor remote oracle database..checking on some ports

Big Brother

Big Brother
Access more than 800 custom test extensions to share or use in resolving your IT challenges.

monitor remote oracle database..checking on some ports

This question has been answered by grepmaster

I need bigbrother to monitor some oracle related ports on a remote server. I have no access to the remote server other than accross these ports.

How can I check the status of ports 1521, 8001 and 8002 via bigbrother?

I just need to see that oracle seems alive and is answering those ports as it should.

thanks.

-Bob

Verified Answer
  • You can test any text-based network service port by:

1.       Verify the service port is defined in your system services file (/etc/services – C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\services).

2.       Add the service name to BBNETSVCS in bbdef-server.sh, or, bbdef.cfg

3.       Add the service name to the right of the # on the device configuration line in your bb-hosts file.

4.       Restart your BBServer.

All Replies
  • You can test any text-based network service port by:

1.       Verify the service port is defined in your system services file (/etc/services – C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\services).

2.       Add the service name to BBNETSVCS in bbdef-server.sh, or, bbdef.cfg

3.       Add the service name to the right of the # on the device configuration line in your bb-hosts file.

4.       Restart your BBServer.

• The oracle is on a remote server...not on a server with a bigbrother agent on it (can't do that).

??

Thanks.

-Bob

• Yes, but, you will need to make sure that the Oracle service name and port is defined in the 'services' file on the BBServer. Then, add the Oracle service name to the BBNETSVCS array in bbdef-server.sh and also to the device in the bb-hosts file on the BBServer. So, your BBServer should be configured, something like:

/etc/services file:

orcl 1521/tcp # Oracle Listener

~/bb/bbserver/etc/bbdef-server.sh:

BBNETSVCS="smtp telnet ftp pop pop3 pop-3 ssh imap ssh1 ssh2 imap2 imap3 imap4 pop2 pop-2 nntp tcp orcl"

~/bb/bbserver/etc/bb-hosts:

1.2.3.4 oracle.server.com # orcl

Then restart your BBServer and you'll see a log file in BBVAR/logs, like:

oracle,server,com.orcl

And, shortly after you should see an 'orcl' status icon on the BBDISPLAY.

• Thank you very very much!

-Bob