can't start bb4.5 client Ubuntu 11.02 64bit - BB Custom Topics A - D - Big Brother - Dell Community

can't start bb4.5 client Ubuntu 11.02 64bit

Big Brother

Big Brother
Access more than 800 custom test extensions to share or use in resolving your IT challenges.

can't start bb4.5 client Ubuntu 11.02 64bit

This question has been answered by robert.croteau

I can't seem to get my client to run. BBOUT says "nohup: failed to run command `BBHOME/bin/bbrun': no such file or directory"

I verified that BBHOME is correct.

I verified that the nohup path is correct.

BBHOME/bin/bbrun exists and is bbuser:bbuser 755

Anyone have any ideas?

Verified Answer
  • have you defined any external scripts in bb-bbexttab? if so, comment out for now and try to start BB.

if that works, add one external at a time until you get the error

or I just notice something...

BBOUT says "nohup: failed to run command `BBHOME/bin/bbrun': no such file or directory"

why is BBHOME/bin/bbrun the command that fails as in the code,?

wht's the value of BBHOME at the top of runbb.sh? it should be a directory, not "&BBHOME". if it's "&BBHOME", you probably didn't run install/bbconfig to install the client.

All Replies
  • how are you trying to start the BB client?

• su - bbuser -c "cd BBHOME; ./runbb.sh start -a"

• try

su - bbuser -c "cd BBHOME; ./runbb.sh start"

why did you have "-a" in the start statement? try without it

• no difference. I read somewhere that the -a would make the BBOUT line contain a timestamp.

• now try

su - bbuser -c "cd BBHOME; sh -x ./runbb.sh start"

the output may help (you may have to redirect output)

• tried to redirect into "more" and it crashes my shell lol. Redirected to text file, just gives me the same as BBOUT. Using sudo in front of the command keeps the shell from crashing, but it doesn't pipe into "more".

• try

su - bbuser

sh -x ./runbb.sh start

maybe it's a shell thing

• Same as when I used sudo. "more" doesn't seem to work with it. Going through the output that I can see, there are no errors, nothing that stands out as a problem.

• have you defined any external scripts in bb-bbexttab? if so, comment out for now and try to start BB.

if that works, add one external at a time until you get the error

or I just notice something...

BBOUT says "nohup: failed to run command `BBHOME/bin/bbrun': no such file or directory"

why is BBHOME/bin/bbrun the command that fails as in the code,?

wht's the value of BBHOME at the top of runbb.sh? it should be a directory, not "&BBHOME". if it's "&BBHOME", you probably didn't run install/bbconfig to install the client.

• Sorry, I translated the directory into BBHOME so as not to put my file structure out there. The value is correct, I did run bbconfig. I do not have any external scripts.

• i'm on Mint 12 had the same issue.

You need to install the 32-bit libc package and you'll be fine.

As Mint is Ubuntu based the package should be the same:

sudo apt-get install libc6-i386

re-run the bbconfig and it should work!

cheers

peter

• just one thing though is that bbd, bbf etc have libodbc linked to them. I cant install a 32-bit libodbc through apt / synaptic without breaking my system - which i'm not going to do.

./bbd

./bbd: error while loading shared libraries: libodbc.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

# ldd bbd

linux-gate.so.1 => (0xf776e000)

libcrypt.so.1 => /lib32/libcrypt.so.1 (0xf7725000)

libodbc.so.1 => not found

libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf75ab000)

/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf776f000)

# ldd bbf

linux-gate.so.1 => (0xf7790000)

libodbc.so.1 => not found

libcrypt.so.1 => /lib32/libcrypt.so.1 (0xf7747000)

libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf75cd000)

/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7791000)

so i'm not sure how bbd is actually running on my system!! but it is. The Flash component bbf doesnt work though. Blank, and all the clocks are at midnight.

And yes i've checked and doublechecked bbf.xml.

• can't you install the 32bit drivers in an alternate directory and then setup LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or LIBPATH) to that location.

as for bbflash, make sure bbf.xml is correctly configured. the url location should be the same as the bb location

• as i mentioned i have installed the 32-bit libc, but it also wants 32-bit ODBC which will break my system. I'm not going to break it.

bbflash (bbf.xml) is setup correctly.

I have created a VirtualBox instance of 32-bit Mint for testing. It's likely i'll have to host the server on Solaris due to 64-bit Linux issues described above.

That's fine as i have Solaris servers i can use.

• for flash, do you at least get the ticker bar at the bottom?

if you use Firefox, have you installed httpfox? if so, use it to view what's returned when bbf.html is loaded.