Any java based monitors out there? - BB Custom Topics A - D - Big Brother - Dell Community

Any java based monitors out there?

Big Brother

Big Brother
Access more than 800 custom test extensions to share or use in resolving your IT challenges.

Any java based monitors out there?

This question has been answered by jdcamp

I have a monitor that queries a database using a sqlplus command that is part of the oracle client installed on the server. The sqlplus command is wrapped in a standard BB shell type monitor. It has been working great, however my new servers don't have or need an oracle client of this fashion as they use jdbc type connections provided via WebSphere.

In order to use the JDBC connector to the DB, I'll either need to write the monitor directly as java, or have an java agent that updates a flat file that BB monitors.

I'd rather not have an additional java agent if I can implement it directly. Has anyone ever done this before, and if so, willing to share a basic template of the java code?

Verified Answer
  • I'll answer my own question here with what I was able to do.

I wound up using groovy to do this and it is working well so far. Steps below;

1. downloaded the binary groovy bundle and unzipped it into my Big Brother PE folder

2. added the ojdbc6.jar file to the lib directory under groovy directory

3. created a groovy.env file in the ext directory of Big Brother (with GROOVY_HOME, JAVA_HOME, and PATH additions defined)

4. created a simple groovy script that queried the database and output the results to standard out

5. wrapped a standard Big Brother shell template around the groovy script

6. Added the new monitor to bb-bbexttab

All Replies
  • I'll answer my own question here with what I was able to do.

I wound up using groovy to do this and it is working well so far. Steps below;

1. downloaded the binary groovy bundle and unzipped it into my Big Brother PE folder

2. added the ojdbc6.jar file to the lib directory under groovy directory

3. created a groovy.env file in the ext directory of Big Brother (with GROOVY_HOME, JAVA_HOME, and PATH additions defined)

4. created a simple groovy script that queried the database and output the results to standard out

5. wrapped a standard Big Brother shell template around the groovy script

6. Added the new monitor to bb-bbexttab

• heh, I hate to mark my own answer as correct, but don't want it hanging around out here as an unanswered question.