hostsvc: called with invalid/missing DISP entry - BB Custom Topics A - D - Big Brother - Dell Community

hostsvc: called with invalid/missing DISP entry

Big Brother

Big Brother
Access more than 800 custom test extensions to share or use in resolving your IT challenges.

This question has been answered by robert.croteau

If I try to follow the links in any of the e-mails I receive from Big Brother I get the following message:

This is the entire URL.

Please see: http://servername/bb/cgi-bin/hostsvc.exe?HOSTSVC=server1,companyname.svcs&DISP

I have noticed that the text of the e-mail includes an = sign that isn't part of the hyperlink. If I include the = the link then works. For example:

Sample see: http://servername/bb/cgi-bin/hostsvc.exe?HOSTSVC=server1,companyname.svcs&DISP=

I did the research. Here is what's happening with the Outlook 2007 SP2 mangling of notifications from BB, so that the &DSP= part of the link is converted to &DSP without the = in the link to the notification.

This mangling only happens when a text message is received, that has a text version of an HTML link in it, and it's received by Exchange 2007 with Outlo0k 2007.

When outlook 2007 (sp2 in our case) receives a text email with an HTML link in it, it does a "best body format"

Conversion. You still have a text format email, but there is a mangled HTML link put in it, that doesn't have that = in it.

This only happens when text is converted to HTML.

I even tried hard-setting a forced format of HTML or RTF on the mailbox.. no go.. it did force those formats. but the text to html conversion happens the same broken way, regardless of the format of the mailbox.

If the messages would be in HTMl, then it would work perfectly. Perhaps someday you might make this an option... the format of messages being text or html. (enhancement

request)

If I paste the link into an html format email, it works fine. Also, if I view the message and click the link of the notification with Outlook Web Access, it works fine.

Only since Outlook 2007, has Microsoft changed the default HTML rendering engine, to the one used by Word 2007. This is the problem. It's this rendering engine that has the problem, a lot of people are very annoyed and Microsoft does not care to fix it.

Until such a day that we get the option to have it sent as HTML, or Microsoft fixes some of this,

the only option we have, is to get the bad message of: hostsvc: called with invalid/missing DISP entry, then to go to the browser and add in the '='manually, and it will then go to the link in the notification.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Verified Answer
  • Hi Milt

Well, in hostsvc.exe, it could accept a missing DISP (or mangled) and default it to "". That should be the solution. I don't think it could break anything if it were that way.

All Replies
  • Hi Milt

Well, in hostsvc.exe, it could accept a missing DISP (or mangled) and default it to "". That should be the solution. I don't think it could break anything if it were that way.