Getting "Local WMI connection failed" error when trying to run bbntcfg - BB Custom Topics A - D - Big Brother - Dell Community

Getting "Local WMI connection failed" error when trying to run bbntcfg

Big Brother

Big Brother
Access more than 800 custom test extensions to share or use in resolving your IT challenges.

Getting "Local WMI connection failed" error when trying to run bbntcfg

This question has been answered by jyangquest

Was wondering if anyone is aware of this error and what might need to happen. The whole BBPE 4.40 service is dying and when I try to run bbntcfg I get this error. I'm running this on a Windows 2000 server (yuck I know).

The service fails with the following error;

The Big Brother Professional Edition Client 4.40 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 3 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

And I believe these previous messages may be related as well (occur in the same minute);

The server {8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The server {8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Verified Answer
  • Please first try:

from a command window, run:

net stop winmgmt

cd %windir%\system32\wbem

ren repository repository.old

net start winmgmt

if the problem is not solved, continue:

winmgmt /clearadap
    winmgmt /kill
    winmgmt /unregserver
    winmgmt /regserver
    winmgmt /resyncperf

if the problem is still not solved, continue again:

CD %windir%\system32\wbem
    Mofcomp.exe cimwin32.mof
    Regsvr32 /s wbemupgd.dll
    Regsvr32 /s wbemsvc.dll
    wmiprvse /regserver

Hope it works now:)

All Replies
  • I'm not 100% sure this will resolve the problem; it may be a MSFT security patch issue as described in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444 (with symptoms, cause and resolution).

Also, here's a MSFT support article about the exact same error and how it was resolved: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/the-server-8bc3f05e-d86b-11d0-a075-00c04fb68820/7500c1d2-b873-4e68-af8c-89fe7e848658

• I read through both links and the KB article sounds interesting, but I don't notice any of the other symptoms mentioned. The second seems to suggest that restoring some DLL's fixed the issue, but doesn't point to any of them. I don't know that we have anything in place that will track which dll's have changed recently. Will have to ask the OS support guys I guess.

• Please make sure RPC service and WMI service are running from the window's service panel.

If the connection problem is still there:

1. open a command window

2. run "wbemtest"

3. On the popup GUI, click "Connect..."

4. On the new popup GUI, click "Connect"

What is the error code you get?

• The error code I got was;

Number: 0x80080005

Facility: Windows

Description: Server execution failed

I see RPC and WMI are both running on the server.

• Please first try:

from a command window, run:

net stop winmgmt

cd %windir%\system32\wbem

ren repository repository.old

net start winmgmt

if the problem is not solved, continue:

winmgmt /clearadap
    winmgmt /kill
    winmgmt /unregserver
    winmgmt /regserver
    winmgmt /resyncperf

if the problem is still not solved, continue again:

CD %windir%\system32\wbem
    Mofcomp.exe cimwin32.mof
    Regsvr32 /s wbemupgd.dll
    Regsvr32 /s wbemsvc.dll
    wmiprvse /regserver

Hope it works now:)

• Well, my OS support folks patched and rebooted the server this past weekend and BB is running fine now. Unfortunately I'm not sure if it was the patches or the reboot which fixed it. I'm leaning towards the reboot as this worked for several weeks after I installed it, then stopped mysteriously. Thanks all for your comments.