cpu monitoring - BB Custom Topics A - D - Big Brother - Dell Community

cpu monitoring

Big Brother

Big Brother
Access more than 800 custom test extensions to share or use in resolving your IT challenges.

cpu monitoring

This question has been answered by robert.croteau

Hello,

I recently inherited several servers that utilize BB. Apparently the previous administrator really like BB, but just left the default settings. I'm now trying to tweak it so it can be of some use.

I have several servers with hot cpu's. The normal cpu settings are: warning - 150, critical - 300. These servers are usually always over 300, often much higher. I want to continue to monitor these servers, but I want to turn off paging and alerting for these particular servers. I've figured out how to change the threshold, but I'm not sure how to keep just the cpu, or any other check, from alerting. It appears to me that the checks and alerting are both either on or off, no selectivity. I'm sure that I'm wrong, I just haven't had the opportunity to really dig into the docs to figure it out.

If someoe could just give me some direction, or a quick example of what I need to change, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Daryl

Verified Answer
  • for alerting, just read the docs on notification. Also, you can read and edit etc/bbwarnrules.cfg. Use the ! qualifier in a rule to prevent notifications that match the criteria. ie

for BBPE

!*;;cpu;;*;*;*;*

will prevent notifications on any CPU event (for all hosts).

if you want to have your CPU column to green you can either adjust the CPUWARN/CPUPANIC values in bbdef-client (and restart the BB client) or insert enties in etc/bb-cputab (if it's not there, use bb-cputab.DIST as a template)

bye

All Replies
  • for alerting, just read the docs on notification. Also, you can read and edit etc/bbwarnrules.cfg. Use the ! qualifier in a rule to prevent notifications that match the criteria. ie

for BBPE

!*;;cpu;;*;*;*;*

will prevent notifications on any CPU event (for all hosts).

if you want to have your CPU column to green you can either adjust the CPUWARN/CPUPANIC values in bbdef-client (and restart the BB client) or insert enties in etc/bb-cputab (if it's not there, use bb-cputab.DIST as a template)

bye

• Thank you Robert, I'll give that a try.

Daryl